German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, earlier today I took Nuhkia out to relieve herself in the back yard. The back yard isn't completely inclosed yet therefore I always keep her leashed when leaving the house. Well, today it happened again. I take out to do her buisness and as we are turning to head back in, I hear animal foot prints coming through the snow around the house, I instantly started toward the door quickly assuming it was the neighbors dog, and was I ever right!

The neighbors a few houses down have a pitbull female, she is great with people and very loving even without her owners around. However my first run in with her with Nuhkia in the backyard was crazy, the pitbull went right for Nuhkia, I instantly swung the leash around and picked her up and went headed for the backdoor, all the while having the pitbull jumping on me trying to get Nuhkia. So, for about a week after that every time I took Nuhkia out, I would take a club with me just incase. Well after I noticed the dog was back in the neighbors fenced yard, I stopped carrying it. Well I wish I would have had it today.

Don't get me wrong I love animals and am not a violent person at all towards anything, however if something is coming at me or my family, I will do what is needed to protect.

Well as I said earlier her came the pitbull running right around the corner, and before I could get us both through the door, the dog went for Nuhkia's back leg. Thankfully she didn't latch on. After looking her over in the house I seen not puncture wounds or blood, however I took her to have her checked to be on the safe side.

I then called the police dept and informed them of what had happened. About 20 mins later the Animal Control came by, they stopped infront of my neighbors and talked with them a few, (from what I could hear of the conversation they knew each other) and then he drove past, down the road, turned around and left the neighborhood. I had informed the police of knowing where the dog lived, in which the police replied an officer would get ahold of me.

Well it's been all day and no officer has tried to reach me, nor do I believe the dog was picked up. So, at this moment I am extremely upset with the way my cities Police Dept decides to handle these cases.

I made my way up to the Police Dept, I was given a few numbers from the dispatch and was told to call tomorrow since everyone that is needed to be talked to had already went home for the day. Now, I know the dog, it's a nice dog, however it evidently has a thing for smaller dogs or something.

Another thing that strikes me as odd and I informed the dispatch of this as well. Is that 2-3 yrs ago the neighbor had a beautfiul GSD, a yr later it was gone, 3-6 mons later they had a fox hound, 3-6 mons later it was gone, then they had a brindle pitbull, she ended up disappearing and now they have this white and blone pitbull that runs the neighborhood constantly! I have no clue what is going on. However I am not willing to keep my dog confined to the house nor have a need to protect myself in my own backyard due to some idiots inability to confine their dog like a respectful owner should! And since the dog has the ability to run the neighborhood off and on, I want the city to make sure the dog has had its shots and can prove this as well as anyother vacinations it should have according to it's age!

I do not think this is to much to ask. And I would be greatful for any advice anyone has to offer on how to perhaps get my cities officials moving from their seats in the police dept to actually "protecting and serving" their community.

·
Registered
585 Posts
all i can say is good luck...same situation and NOthing has ever been done...and now we have 4 dogs that run the dang neighborhood...just be sure to file a police report everytime something happens...thats what i have to do...

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Our police department doesn't directly handle animal complaints, but they have a separate department that will issue first a verbal warning, then a fine, then another fine, and then possibly take them to court- unless the dog is vicious though not much may be done.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Knock on the neighbor's door and ask them if it is OK with them for you to club their dog when it comes in your yard and attacks your dog. If it is not OK, ask them what you should do. If they have no suggestions that you approve of then tell them to kiss their dog goodbye because you have a right to protect yourself and your property(dog). A neighbor's dog does not have the right-of-way on your property... or anywhere except their own.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If the pitbull attacked a child, I bet they'd be there in seconds. I have no idea what I would do in your shoes. You've already talked to the humane society or animal control, so I have no idea.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
How soon can you completely enclose your yard? At least you would be able to keep the neighbors' dog out.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Carry some mace out there when you take your dog out. Next time the dog goes after your dog, just mace her straight in the eyes. Mace should stop the dog right in it's tracks and hopefully scare it from ever coming back.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definately all good ideas. At the rate I was going, I couldn't think of anything.

On fencing I'll be finishing the rest of that up come spring.

I also thought of a cattle prod or something to give the dog a shock next time it enters in my backyard. Unfortunately my going to the door of said owner will accomplish nothing, considering the neighborhood in which I reside. Not to mention the many times I took his previous dog back to him after it also would get loose and run crazy through the neighborhood.

I'm going to make my way to the Mayors office tomorrow to inquire what my tax dollars are paying for exactly, and if I get no where, I'll just file a complaint with the state, and move on to calling the State Police instead of my local. (I have a local State Post a few minutes from the house.)

·
Registered
940 Posts
I def. agree with Lucy - when you're out with your dog, and even by yourself, carry some mace. You could even set up a camera so that you can flip it on when you go out and then if the dog comes in the yard you will have the attack on video and can show it to the cops.

While you're working to enclose the back yard could you rent some fence panels to put up? By no means am I saying that you should have to do this - you shouldn't have to but I'm sure you don't want you or your dog to get hurt and until the neighbor or police take action it sounds like you're on your own for now at least.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i agree. you could look into renting a fence until you can install a permanent one. thats very frustrating. We had a saint bernard who was always going after Riley at the dog park. I cant even begin to imagine the BS had she lived in our neighborhood and pulled that during our walks. Definitely talk to your town officials. Dont mention breed. Certainly dont need anymore breed bans in this country but knowing where you money is going and letting them know you're not happy about them getting it and not using it to help keep people safe from idiots should get some notice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i'm going through similar problems,but me and mine were mauled several times. all the other dogs were strays or dumped so no luck for me. its funny cuz its my pits getting mauled and shredded by the gsds...when you go to the maor or wherever,dont bring breed into it,anydog is what you make or dont make of it....its like,you wouldnt complain about somebody because of their race....good luck,me and my 14 dogs are house ridden until spring too when the fence goes up,at least we have an enclosed kennel attached to the house via a doggie door.....have you considered that?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
You could also stand outside with the mace and spray the dog just for coming into your yard, without your dog there. Make sure you are aware of the wind too, dont want it blowing back in your face. After getting sprayed a couple of times, the dog will not come near you.

Also, check with your local town clerk, ask for the code on keeping dogs. I dont know many places where you are allowed to let your dog run free. It usually states your dog must be under your control. There might be differences with town limits or outside town limits too. You may be able to get the code enforcement officer involved.

Good luck

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My parents had a dog that kept coming in their yard to do it's business. They sat on the porch one evening with a bag full of water balloons. My dad threw water balloons at the dog. Scared it to death. Now when the dog wanders the streets it always walks on the other side of the street away from their house, therefore never coming into their yard.

I was a little concerned about what the neighbors would think of seeing an older couple sitting in rockers on the porch chunking water balloons at dogs. But apparently many of the neighbors have started doing the same thing. They gather around in the evening talking about it. I suppose that is entertainment in a small rual town!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
it's a shame. if your neighbors don't want to help contain they're dog do whatever you need to to keep you and your dog safe. bat, mace etc... it sucks to have to do it, but they are not leaving you with much of a choice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts