German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just came in a little bit ago from playing outside in the backyard and our GSD’s eyes are extremely swollen. He does have environmental allergies, grass, tress, etc but it’s never bothered him like this at all. We did give him Zyrtec when we came in. He also gets regular cytopoint shots. He didn’t get into anything and wasn’t stung by anything that any of us noticed. Swelling is only around the eyes.

Has anyone experienced a reaction like this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh my gosh. I've never seen that. Did you call your vet?
It’s terrible looking isn’t it? I do have an email out to her. The Zyrtec has the swelling reducing by a little more than 1/2 right now, but I’ve got to figure out what caused it. He doesn’t seem to be bothered which is good, but still horrible nonetheles.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Do you have buffalo gnats (black flies) in your area right now? Those suckers are evil. They inject an anesthetic while they are stab-biting you so you don't feel it, and you get incredibly nasty swelling from the bites. Which I learned the hard way one fine day after doing sheep herding training with some dogs while brushing away what I thought were harmless gnats. Woke up the next day with massive swelling around both eyes which totally closed one eye and half closed the other eye.

If your dog gets any worse I would take him to the vet.

·
Registered
30,381 Posts
It's definitely horrible Looking! Can you add benadryl to zyrtec? I think it might act faster than the time release zyrtec? Is it affecting his breathing?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have buffalo gnats (black flies) in your area right now? Those suckers are evil. They inject an anesthetic while they are stab-biting you so you don't feel it, and you get incredibly nasty swelling from the bites. Which I learned the hard way one fine day after doing sheep herding training with some dogs while brushing away what I thought were harmless gnats. Woke up the next day with massive swelling around both eyes which totally closed one eye and half closed the other eye.

If your dog gets any worse I would take him to the vet.
We’ve had flies horrible this year, unlike any other year. Unsure what type they are, but they’re all over. Thank you for sharing that info this is interesting and I’ll look into it, makes a lot of sense.

The swelling is is about 90% gone and he’s eating, drinking and playing as usual 🙌🏻

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's definitely horrible Looking! Can you add benadryl to zyrtec? I think it might act faster than the time release zyrtec? Is it affecting his breathing?
I’m not sure about adding the Benadryl, but I’ve got an unrelated vet visit with our shar pei this morning so I’ll ask about it all. He seems to be almost 100% back to normal so I’m hopeful it will just pass without any further issue. His breathing was fine no problems there, just that terrible swelling around the eyes 🤔

·
Registered
457 Posts
Glad to hear he's doing better.

I wonder if there is some kind of fly mask that you could use on him. They make them for horses, to keep the flies out of their eyes and ears and off their faces. Is there such a product for dogs, too? If not, maybe there should be.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to hear he's doing better.

I wonder if there is some kind of fly mask that you could use on him. They make them for horses, to keep the flies out of their eyes and ears and off their faces. Is there such a product for dogs, too? If not, maybe there should be.
If they make it I’ll absolutely buy it LOLOL The things we require with these dogs haha.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Glad that all went down. If it happens again I would wipe his eyes with damp clean cloth to wipe off whatever may be irritating his eyes. It’s in both eyes. Be careful if any lawn chemicals he may have been rubbing his face in the grass or his allergies to the grass. I am allergic to grass and on occasion every few years my eyes can look like that if some particular pollen is in the air at night. Dog goggles may help also.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad that all went down. If it happens again I would wipe his eyes with damp clean cloth to wipe off whatever may be irritating his eyes. It’s in both eyes. Be careful if any lawn chemicals he may have been rubbing his face in the grass or his allergies to the grass. I am allergic to grass and on occasion every few years my eyes can look like that if some particular pollen is in the air at night. Dog goggles may help also.
Thanks! This summer we’ve been giving him a good wipe down-face, eyes, front and back paws and it seems to be lessening his symptoms. We make sure not to treat the yard with anything harmful, so at least I can rule that out when he’s at home and it happens. He does love to rub his face in the grass 🏻 Maybe he was stung, or it was a particularly bad pollen day, who knows. Just glad it’s over and we’ve gained lots of good advice for the next time ��

1 - 12 of 12 Posts