German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, new to the group and first time owner of a GS (decades experience with other breeds). We brought home a puppy when he was around 8 weeks (he is 8 months old now). We had earlier visited the entire litter and he was different in that he was very passive and sleeping all day, as if he were sick. He was the last to leave. He adapted rapidly to our human family, very clever, he was playing hide and seek very soon (I was surprised, given he was still weeks old) but became obsessed with playing fetch, he will play all day if he can, in and out of the house. But we are worried because he is extremely protective, his watchdog DNA was visible from his very first visit to an outdoor park, he was still a puppy but he would not let anybody or any dog get close. We brought in another puppy, a Golden Retriever, also a male but with a "living room carpet personality", passive but playful and not aggresive, they adapted to each other rapidly; they play-fight every night before bedtime but none gets angry. However, recently, the GS has attacked the Retriever viciously twice, the second time around was because the latter chose to play fetch (which he rarely does) and that made the GS jealous (or so we think). If there is such as thing as OCD in dogs, I theorize that playing fetch all day is feeding an anxiety-dopamine loop; and he is adding odd behaviours, after fetching the stick or whatever we throw, he sniffs all the path back and forth many times before returning it, he also literally stalks the object before jumping over it to grab it, a clear hunter-prey behaviour. I also theorize that "obeying" him by playing fetch whenever and wherever he wants (he brings things all the time and drops them at our feet so we can at least kick the object a few yards), also affects his behaviour (instead of playing when we say so).
He is currently in 3-week training camp and is learning obedience very rapidly, but what we want is to tame his aggressiveness, we fear he will attack small children or other dogs and hurt them. We had never experienced this with any of the other dogs we had before. I wonder if he will be able to socialize with other dogs at all -he does it in a controlled situation, but not spontaneously such as in the park- he will sight a dog afar and run after it and bite it, even if it as Great Danish; he will certainly loose if he faces a bigger and aggresive GS or an Akita (there are owners of those breeds in the park we visit and they always walk with them laced and far from the pack).
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
I think your main problem is that you have one intense adolescent GSD and a placid GR puppy. This is a troublesome combo if you plan to have them live together. I would choose the one that fits you best and find a home for the other.

·
Super Moderator
8,061 Posts
The other owners of GSDs and Akitas keep their dogs off to the side because they are not social, just like your dog. Perhaps you should do the same to keep your dog from biting and chasing.
Since your dog loves fetch more than anything, use that to reward him. Keep the toys out of reach and carry a couple with you at all times. One example: Teach him a "Quiet" command or "Leave it" when he wants to bark and act badly when he sees another dog,reward by tossing a toy a couple of times.
If he wants to play fetch at home: Have him do something for you first(some obedience commands) and reward with fetch.It puts you in control and makes for a dog happy to respond to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts