German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow GSD community, I am a bit in a loss here. Last Monday my 9 year old GSD took his rabies vaccination. All went fine. On Thursday morning I encountered a lot of saliva in the water, and then I also saw my dog have this "laugh" expression (dropped jaw, showing lower teeth) and I was like, "awww, funny". The aww funny in me stopped in the evening when I realized he kept doing it and the brutal amounts of saliva in the water bowl which I usually change as much as I can daily. I then realized he was unable to close his lower jaw, it is between slightly open and open (either the front part of tongue sticks out or you see the front lower teeth). Thus saliva keeps dripping forward, accumulates on his front lower teeth, and keeps exiting especially during drinking.
To make matters worse, he makes a huge mess drinking, I help him by holding bowl higher or the easiest for him is when he drinks while lying down. As for eating, he is unable to chew, he licks the food in and swallows it as whole, having (took me also a day to realize) having caused probably full stomach, because he could not poop for 30 hours and came whimpering at me in middle of the night, so I thought maybe diarrhea, took him out, he literally ran towards grass and started like a cow eating it. Peeing etc was of no importance, he ate grass for 20 mins. The stool worked later (thankfully), but he can't chew properly anymore, jaw is still dropped. I changed to soft food of course meanwhile.

I went to search for answers, of course I found the:
Trigeminal Neuritis (which I pray that it is, since it auto-heals itself in 2-4 weeks). But what a coincidence this happening 3 days after a rabies vaccine.

Then I searched and searched and searched and people that reported side effects never reported what I encounter, but then I saw one article:

65 ways how rabies vaccination for dogs can harm your dog:

I read all, for the first time, I found this:

Point 25: Hanging down of the lower Jaw.

This is the first time I read this anywhere. The main side-effect causes from the more "official" vet sites, never mentioned this. However, I read this article with a lot of caution, as the site appears to be a bit towards the "alternative medicine" orientation and somewhat anti-rabies vaccination bias, but it was there. However, it brilliantly described how the rabies vaccination works, so dead rabies virus spreads through the dog, including the brain obviously, which could trigger e neurological reaction making the dog think he has symptoms of rabies (even if he has no rabies), either way, it was a good read as it coincided with many other articles but was much more skeptical regarding the positive outcomes of the vaccination than other sites.

I brought this up with the vets again but at this point I am getting the "never have seen this in my career" / "not normal" / "let's observe another week", etc, etc, basically, all clueless responses. Thus I am here to know if you have experienced, or you know other dogs and friends, because the uncertainty of not really knowing what is actually going on is killing me. My dog comes beg me for his after breakfast treat, with a hanging jaw and saliva dripping from it, and I could not even give him his favorite treat because he can't chew it. He is in great spirit, he plays, he is active, but he drools a lot now and can only close his mouth when he lies down flat with it on the floor. Vets checked all, the throat, tongue, teeth which we also care for a lot, they are at this point perplexed and safe to say clueless. Maybe through opinions and experiences here I can find out more.

Thanks in advance, I wanted to be as detailed as possible here also in case someone else has this issue in the future and can learn from what has happened before since this situation is extremely rare I found out.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with the vaccine, but I doubt it. Even if it was a rare occurrence, wouldn't you think that your vet would have seen it before? He has probably vaccinated thousands of dogs.
Keep following up with the vet. Ask him if he has called other vets that he knows to find out if they have ever seen it.
Search google long enough and you will something somewhere that blames vaccines for causing the corona virus...
I have a friend who is an MD, he has a mug that says "No, I didn't get my medical degree on Google"...

If there is a veterinary school near you, they might be able to help.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
If this IS a "Rabies Miasm" (which are very real) you'll need a vet certified in Homeopathy or Homeotoxicology, to diagnose and treat.
They will recommend a "remedy" according to the dog "symptoms".

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I would go to the nearest vet school and also get the information for the vaccine the dog was given. Manufacturer, lot number. You can call the manufacturer directly. I have found that medical doctors really aren't up on side effects of drugs and I have had some really bad reactions. The pharmacist has more knowledge on that. But we don't have doggy pharmacists so I would pursue the vet schools and manufacturer.

And if it is completely unrelated to the vaccine, at least at a vet school they have a larger knowledge bank to figure out what might be causing this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks a lot all. No real vet school anywhere near me. Vet is informed to discuss it with other vets. Noted about the Rabies Miasm (I read on it also yesterday), but good call on calling the pharma company that made it, I will enter in touch with them tomorrow but since they are huuuuuuge, I doubt I'll get far. But any more help advice appreciated.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Thanks a lot all. No real vet school anywhere near me. Vet is informed to discuss it with other dogs. Noted about the Rabies Miasm (I read on it also yesterday), but good call on calling the pharma company that made it, I will enter in touch with them tomorrow but since they are huuuuuuge, I doubt I'll get far. But any more help advice appreciated.
I think your vet has to report a possible vaccine reaction? Maybe call vet schools for a consult by phone?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think your vet has to report a possible vaccine reaction? Maybe call vet schools for a consult by phone?
Thanks, here in Europe it might work slightly different but I will try and contact a vet school, and good call on reporting this. The thing is, when I went to the vet first before suspecting the vaccine (I totally ignored the vaccine side effect as possible cause), then the vets were forthcoming, helpful and doing all they can to find out what is going on etc, as soon as I considered it being a side effect of rabies and said so, suddenly vet seemed distant, not getting much into details, etc, just odd, I will get some second and third opinions coming week also. No vet excluding rabies vaccination at this point but then again, zero back up in trying to find out more, no real motivation of vets so far pointing at that direction although not ignoring it either, but anything else such as "must have hit his jaw somewhere" and assumptions like this they pursue with all force and motivation possible, although my dog has had not trauma nor any such incidents.
I expected vets being more forthcoming and not suddenly be distant, so tomorrow I'll have to start apply pressure and hope to be called for additional tests that can actually link this to possible side-effect or at least exclude other factors.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Any tick diseases? I know France has one different than we do in the states. Pretty sure a WUSV competitor lost a dog to it in 2014.

Look for common causes first. Don't look for a unicorn in a herd of horses

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
No ticks out yet so far, I also do not walk in heavy tick locations at the moment tho in the past I have still seen some there. Yeah the thing is when looking for normal causes what I see first is the Trigeminal Neuritis.
Tomorrow I have to do some more digging, his condition is the same, I really hope its Trig Neuritis as this cures itself.
Has anyone else also had experience with a dropped jaw? Especially shortly after rabies vaccination ?

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Check out rabies vaccinosis. it's the reason one of my dogs developed Rabies symptoms without being sick as a result from the vaccine. He was put down as a result due to his dangerous behavior. From now on I have them titered for rabies after their booster shot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check out rabies vaccinosis. it's the reason one of my dogs developed Rabies symptoms without being sick as a result from the vaccine. He was put down as a result due to his dangerous behavior. From now on I have them titered for rabies after their booster shot.
I have checked it out as well, he is fine with all the other symptoms, no fear of water, no new aggressive tendencies (rather a bit calmer actually), it is just the open jaw which collects saliva now in front that he drools out (especially when smelling food), and this causes him problems with drinking and eating. What a bad thing to get out of the blue and still not knowing what it could be, hopefully I find answers this week by doing additional tests to rule other things out.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Could it possibly be this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could it possibly be this?
I really hope it is, since what you sent is known as Trigeminal Neuritis, which heals on its own within 2-7 weeks, but I just took the rabies shot 3 days earlier, what a coincidence this would be.... that vaccination, the timing, if it is vaccination related he might have neurological problems now from what I read, and not just nerve problems.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Ranger did have Trigeminal Neuritis, he acted completely normal other than he could not fully close his mouth. We feed him honest kitchen (dehydrated) reconstituted more into a slurry. That helped him considerably and he managed to eat without too much trouble.

Ranger had a rabies shot, however I believe there was a month or more between events.

I hope it’s the same thing for your dog, but the timing of the shot is suspect.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello
I was going to wait until end of the week but Odin is now under Cortisone since last Monday. Obviously he has some side effects of it that are not that great, but his jaw appeared to close much more. His mouth is now barely open, I would say if last Monday was 1/10 (bad to healed), now it is around 8/10. He has it closed most of the times, but when open, just maybe 1/4", unlike last week. However, his biting strength remains weak, maybe a bit stronger, but still pretty weak. He makes less a mess when drinking but I still have him on soft food (which I just found out he loves like crazy). Energy wise etc all is fine. It appears he is healing, tomorrow is the last cortisone treatment before vet decides if more or not but questions remains if this condition could reverse again if he stops taking it, need to ask all these questions.
I also have news from the rabies vaccination company (Odin's case appears to be one of the first cases ever reported), but end of the week I will write a more detailed update.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts