German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have extra swiss chard and lettuce in the garden. can these be steamed and fed to the dogs? what about the stalks from the parsley that I don't use? any nutritional value there?

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I give my guys some left over veggies, sweet potato and they love frozen fruit, but it is not a huge part of their diet. I haven't fed any type of greens in years and I remember slightly that there are some you have to feed very moderately (Spinach being one of them). I would think in moderation you should be OK, but, no, they probably don't offer much in the way of nutrition. My dogs won't eat cooked greens. Vala might, but Vala will eat just about anything.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Probably in small amounts, although I don't know about the parsley stalks.

The food we feed at home has similar ingredients -
THK, Love variety: includes parsley, dandelion greens and other veggies
Nature's Variety venison: broccoli, lettuce, spinach, dried kelp, apple cider vinegar, parsley, rosemary, sage, and other things.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jax turned her nose up at the lettuce leaf so i took it all to a friend to give to her rabbits. :)

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Jax turned her nose up at the lettuce leaf so i took it all to a friend to give to her rabbits. :)
You beat me to it! Rabbits would love your veggies. I had a sweet little rabbit for almost 7 years. Your friends bunny will be a happy camper:)

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
I have extra swiss chard and lettuce in the garden. can these be steamed and fed to the dogs? what about the stalks from the parsley that I don't use? any nutritional value there?[/QUOTE
Hi Jax!
I add pureed (raw) parsley or steamed parsnips to every batch of raw food I make to try and keep the toxins out of their kidneys!
Pureed raw swiss chard in moderate amounts is ok too, just not every day as it is a 'night-shade' plant.
Vegetables need to be pureed in order for dogs' to get the nutritional value.
:)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Normally I take my produce refuse, dry it out or freeze/thaw, and mix it in with minced meats.

Commonly, strawberry leaf caps, bean caps, stalks, rotting produce

As long as I could or would eat it, and it is not toxic, I do feed it. Anyone else do that?
No livestock and no compost pile here, otherwise it'd first go to either of those. Waste not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts