German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do any of you have suggestions for how to block a portion of a wrap around deck?

We finally fenced one of our five acres (yay!), but now we have to make it secure. The fence abuts our wrap around porch. We need to put up a gate of some kind to block Asher's access to the left side of the deck--from which he could escape into the front yard. I'd still like him to have access to the right portion of our deck so he can go down the stairs into the fenced yard. We don't have a pet door and Asher won't be in the yard unsupervised, but I'd like the gate secure enough that I can relax.

Here's a link to a baby-gate that I have ordered for (temporary?) use.

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Multi-Use-Walk-Thru-Bronze/dp/B000XT30G4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Have any of you found a taller gate anywhere?--the tallest I have found was about 40 inches. Unfortunately, my husband and I aren't terribly handy, and I don't have many power tools yet, so anything we built ourselves would have to be very simple.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Carlson-0941PW-Extra-Tall-Walk-Thru-White/dp/B000JJFNJK/ref=sr_1_7?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1462997071&sr=1-7&keywords=extra+tall+baby+gate

This is the one I use. There is a step about 4" in the inside of the room, and these gates in the doorway make it about 45". Mostly, my dogs do not go over them. The only one who does is Karma. Most of my girls respect gates. Karma is my outlier. She will accept the gate and respect it except under what she considers extenuating circumstances. Like if I take the litter outside to go to the vet, and leave her behind in her gated area. I will come home to find that she is NOT where she belongs.

Everyone else, though, could get over the gate but won't.

If you are supervising anyway, you should be able to train the dog that going over the gate off limits.

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
I also use .125" shower board sheets. to block a room. 4'x8'. I just slide them across the opening. You can use something heavy on either side to keep them from being pushed open. And just slide it across the opening.

I wouldn't use it to keep a dog away from a bitch in heat, but for most type of barring access to unwanted areas, it works just fine.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions!

Asher's never tried to jump the x-pen that I use in the house sometimes, so hopefully he won't try to jump whatever gate I put outside. Thanks for the link to the Carlson gate, Selzer. That one is several inches taller than the one I ordered...might be a better choice. The PVC pipe is a good idea too, I hadn't thought of that.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Pvc pipe gate. Google some pics. Easy to build yourself. Cheap. Can make it as tall and wide as you want or need to. Mostly just need a rubber mallet, a screw driver and some glue.
please show

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got that exact extra tall gate!!! -- then attached the two extensions and put them under the gate for extra height! They are very secure under my gate, but if you feel they aren't maybe use a clamp to secure it to the main fence.

In just a week I have a high prey GSD and an aggressive cat sleeping back to back against the gate where yesterday i had a GSD threatening to clear the gate -- he could with out the extra double pannels for height. It's held up to a lot of violent jumping, raming, and general debachery in my house -- so good choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts