German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've focused quite a bit on exposing my pup to all the weird stuff I could think of but does anyone have any more ideas?

He's been to lots of forests, beaches, PSA prep club, hardware store, gardening store, airport, schools, CBD, train stations and stuff like that. All the normal stuff. Shot my bow around him. Clay bird shooting club. WW2 bunkers and tunnels.

But I realised the other day that he's never seen a bathroom in his life and he wasn't that keen on my parent's one, lol. So ideas please :)

Also, would you say you can start dialing back the heavy exposure focus at around 20 weeks? Or how long does it continue for?

Chur

·
Registered
477 Posts
Take to amusement arcades, where there is a lot of noise and lights and just walk through with your pup on a lead or even theme parks and outdoor public markets.

If there is a farm near you or a petting zoo and they allow dogs, you could take your pup but keep on a lead. Walk past fields that have animals in there but again make sure that your pup is under control.

stand outside airports as the planes are landing and taking off, take your pup to the docks and walk around the boats.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My pup seems scares to cross boardwalk type bridges with water underneath. walking over grates with big holes too. think i didn't do enough surface exposure. we still work on them.

also fireworks are not going down great.

other than that plenty of heavy machinery, schools, ambulances, carnival, close exposure to cars (when its dark and wet too),

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
A couple things I missed and my dog showed some reluctance about later on were, basements, elevators, glass fronted buildings or even hallways within buildings (if glass fronted), metal bleachers, and steel grates over water. I would also highly recommend going out of your way to expose your dog to as many types of animals you can! Ducks and geese, cats, goats, cattle, horses etc.

All are great practice.

For my dog, rabbits seemed to take the longest to get over. Something about that fast movement that a dog's prey drive just can't ignore - easily!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
When I'm doing environmental work with green dogs at work, I take them to shopping precincts and sit them by the automatic glass sliding doors and walk in an out with the dog. I also walk them close to moving shopping carts and wheel chairs or push chairs. I also lift the dogs up on to parked shopping trolleys and walk them along the tops whilst moving the trolleys.

Also, walking past free standing metal shop signs and banging them as you pass by with the dog. If there are two of us, then one will walk ahead and drop large soft items, such as dog beds or dog toys as the dog approaches or walks past.

We will constantly put obstacles in the dogs way, so that they have to maneuver around or over them.

I will take them to a railway station and walk along the platform as the trains are coming in and leaving and go up on the railway bridge and walk along as the trains pass underneath and get the dog to sit or lie down on the bridge whilst the train is stationary and whilst it is moving.

I will walk them in haulage yards, between the large trucks and lift them up into the back of empty trailers and bang the sides and floor of the trailer.

They'll be taken to fire stations and the like and walk past outside as the fire trucks go out with their lights and sirens sounding.

One, that is overlooked is, sitting down with your dog on a park bench or outside a cafe and letting your dog take in the sights, sounds and smells of every day things passing by.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Some things that made my dog do doubletakes:

Horses
Large tractors
Bears
Deer
Ambulances or police cars with sirens on
People in wheelchairs
Bobcats
Foxes
Wild animal smells when out hiking
Donkeys
Goats
Tiny yapping dogs
Armadillos
Manatees
Alligators
Sand Hill Cranes
Llamas
Emus
Large pigs

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
...I use Wal-Mart a lot, because Walmartians. Just sit outside the doors.
I literally lol'd reading this at work. We call them "Wal-Folk".

ORPHAN HEIDI, where the heck did you happen across a manatee?! o_O

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I spend a ton of time on different surfaces, flooring and also the transitions between disimilar types, e.g. tile to hardwood to carpet, etc.

I love the list that is being compiled here- so many new & great ideas!

Reactions: MyWifeIsBoss

·
Banned
2,016 Posts
Try walking your dog is a wheelbarrow. Go up and down metal stairs and have your dog sit on street street grates. Have him walk into small dark spaces like small closets or dark spaces he has to crawl under. Test him for gun sureness starting at a distance with smaller caliber ammo. Hang out at an airport if one is near. Take him on a small boat if you have access. Make a can curtain with bb's in the aluminum cans. Go to a public playground and get him to jump on and walk on the different obstacles. Get a long board and put it on cinder blocks at each end and have him walk across and increase the heighth over time. Escalators and elevators.The list is endless.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts