German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joey's been doing that a lot more lately. We'll be watching TV or relaxing, and all of a sudden, there he is on his back with belly exposed and the paws up. Then it's belly rub time. :)

I read somewhere that they'll do that when they're feeling secure.

Comments?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Make sure to repeat "belly rubs!!!" so soon all you have to do is say that and dog is on his back! lol My husband says "Rib Ticklers!!!"

I love the belly up time =)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Our girl does this for some attention, and she gets it, she's so cute. We can see she has a smile on her face.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dog literally does it all the time, new people too. The more she works through protection training, the more friendly she is with people, I never expected that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is exactly how Baron sleeps. Is this also a sign of trust/security?
sure, and it might even be comfortable as well :D. It certainly is a dog a lot more secure in his surroundings that one that hides in a dark corner with their back against the wall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sure, and it might even be comfortable as well :D. It certainly is a dog a lot more secure in his surroundings that one that hides in a dark corner with their back against the wall.
My Mina loves sleeping that way in her crate. She loves lying down next to me and rolling on her side for a belly rub.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl jumps in bed in the morning and rolls on her back next to me wanting her belly rubbed.

I think she just likes laying in this position. What's not to like? She has a nice soft pillow to rest her head on and a cushy bed to lay on and belly rubs to boot.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
My current dog and cat also do it to cool off. Less hair on the belly means more exposure to the ceiling fan! My cat is a Persian and that's her favorite resting position ... on her back looking like an otter with her paws tucked up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ours has decided that belly rubs should be part of the BH routine. On the down and recall, while my wife was walking away he rolls over as if to say,"hey, give me some of this first!"
We all got a good laugh but my wife wasn't to pleased!

·
Registered
874 Posts
4 month old Roxy loves it too...I'll ask her if she wants her belly rubbed and down she goes. I also give her a back massage at night right before bed...she loves that or at least seems to.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
My 2 yr old loves the "belly up" position. And of course it is so hard for me to resist a little belly rubbing time. :D

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
when dogs do it around people it doesnt seem like it means anything just the dog is relaxed and comfortable. Some very nasty dogs that are not mine have done it while i am around them and i KNOw they do not see me as their leader. They could have just been wanting a belly rub or been relaxed it was def no sign of submission though had i try to put one of those dogs in that position they are the type to bite my face.

Dogs do it to other dogs to avoid being brutalized. A weaker dog will do it to a stronger dog just out of respect/fear/submission so the stronger dog does not hurt them. A way to avoid being attacked or beaten up. It usually works on females. Not sure about males. Sometimes I have seen a in tact male do it to a young female pup while flirting so idk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts