German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never used one, my dogs are free to walk the house and the fenced property.
There is a small training period and they are house broke.
For instance Hunter is 5 months now and only had 2 accidents in the house , by the front door on the mat.
He sleeps on his pad on the floor in my bedroom and he has another one by the sliding glass door to see out front.
I don't get the whole kennel thing and I think I'm missing out on some information?

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
Some dogs are not destructive or hard to housetrain. I have three dogs that aren't crated, they've proven themselves to be ok loose when not supervised. They are all crate trained however(when company or service people come over, I crate them)
Some on the other hand, get into anything and everything so crate/kennel is safest. All dogs should be use to crating, an overnight vet visit will be less stressful if they are use to one vs never experiencing it.

·
Registered
32,297 Posts
With multiple dogs, using crates and kennels, while feeding, training, and when you are not home keeps the dogs safe and comfortable.

If a dog has a surgery, crating to give them some peace from the other dogs is better.

When you have intact dogs, crating and kenneling removes the chances of hormone related issues, and unwanted pregnancies.

When you have young dogs that are not 100% house trained, it keeps them safe from household hazzards, like electrical cords, stuffing in children's toys, etc.

When you have a guest who is afraid of dogs, the dogs can be crated and kenneled for the visit. I do not hold it against a person who is fearful of dogs and if they want to visit, I do not want the dogs to make them uncomfortable.

When you need to shampoo the rug or wash the floor, crates or kennels make it easier.

When it is muddy or raining outside, a crate with some towels in it can make it a little less muddy and wet around the house.

There are hundreds of proper uses of crates and kennels that are not abusive at all. And when your dog is used to the crate, leaving them at a groomer or veterinary hospital or even board them it is less traumatic.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Although our dogs are very seldom left at home, when they are Harley has the run of the house but Annie goes in her crate.

It's purely a safety issue. Annie is a window jumper and I've always had this fear that she'll jump on the picture window and go through it if she sees a herd of deer in the yard when we're not home.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
What selzer said... for instance, we had guests tonight that had a 2 yr old that was very afraid of a big 80 lb puppy, which meant the mom was nervous too. Can't blame her for that. So we crated Stosh, the baby could see and get to interact with him until everyone was comfortable. Even though they have the run of the house at night and are only crated when I leave the house, it's an invaluable tool for so many situations, they'll be comfortable if they have a vet's stay or are boarded. Just a good habit to learn and be comfortable with containment

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Max is 10 mo old and he is crated when we are not home. Other wise he would get into everything. He does have freedom at night since about 6 mo old and has been a real good boy. I will probably start testing him with freedom in the kitchen at about 1 yr to see how he does.

Max loves his crate, he even goes in there now on his own when we are home.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
They are also great when out in 'life' and NOT in the home.

When I visit my parents/relatives and my dogs are young. And we all want to go out to dinner/movies? With the crate I KNOW my dog is happy and safe, and my parents don't HATE HAVING MY VISIT cause of 'fear' of my puppy!

VET VISITS! Any prolonged visit to the vet means the vet 'crates' the dog. All I need is my already sick dog to get sicker due to the extreme stress of being crated for the first time ever in a strange place. Instead, my dogs would just settle in and be able to heal.....

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Also in the off chance of an evacuation, it's very helpful to have pets that will " sit quietly in a box".
I heard during the Hurricane Katrina, a lot of people were able to smuggle their pets along with them in suitcases and even garbage bags.
No matter what the regular lifestyle of your dogs, crate training will always come in handy some day.
It's a lot easier to find a place to put a crate than a dog :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog had free run of the house from
day one. i live in a small house so it was
easy to watch him. we never left him in a room alone.
my dog was crated at night, when we left home
and whenever we couldn't watch him. i stopped crating him
at 4 months old and everything was fine untill he
turned 8 months old. at 8 months old he decided
to eat the house and everything in it so he
was crated from 8 months old untill he was
1.5 yrs. old. my dog is 3 yrs. old and everything
has been fine since he's been out of his crate.
this was the first dog i ever crated. crating is
a wonderfull tool to help raise a pup. you can raise a pup
without crating but i think it's much easier with crating.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone I now see some good uses for it.
I hope Hunter doesn't decide to go on a house chewing at 8 months but I will see, he has a lot of freedom here and is really a good boy.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Zoe would eat my house without a crate while I'm gone,lol However, my older boy has full run because I know he will not destroy anything:)

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Libertas capitur (freedom is conquered)

Diabla earned the right of sleepeing out of the crate at about 1,5 years old, it was gradual, though.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i couldn't believe my dog didn't chew anything at
four months old and having full run of the house. i
closed the bedroom doors and the bathroom door when we
were out. at 8 months old i couldn't believe he tried
to destroy the house and everything in it. have you ever seen a dog shred a news paper? it's a work of art. my shredded a news paper
into tiny, tiny peices. everything else he tore up
was an easy clean up or you through it away.
a friend of mine told me "your dog isn't house broken untill
it tears up $1,500.00 dollars worth of stuff".

Thank you everyone I now see some good uses for it.
I hope Hunter doesn't decide to go on a house chewing at 8 months but I will see, he has a lot of freedom here and is really a good boy.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Freedom is earned here. Some earn it early on, others never earn complete freedom in the home when we are away. Given time I'm sure all the youngsters will have freedom, but at this point only Akira and Audrey get total freedom in the house for long periods of time. Micah was adopted at 2 yrs old and had lived in a small outdoor kennel his whole life. He is house trained but if he's inside, we don't allow him to be in the house loose when we are away. Kodi and Dante are still too young, we don't give them the chance to goof up and get into trouble. As they mature we will give them more and more freedom. Kodi was only 8 months when he was adopted, and also lived outside (no kennel).

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
CATU, your art work is beautiful. are you
ready to make me something else????

·
Registered
86 Posts
I rarely crate my dogs. As some have said, when I mop the floors, have guests over that are uncomfortable, etc. But I can tell you when I decide to paint rooms in the house that are in open areas, it's a necessity!! If I did not crate them, they would be "helping me" put paint EVERYWHERE!!!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Zoe would eat my house without a crate while I'm gone,lol However, my older boy has full run because I know he will not destroy anything:)
That's my situation. My older one is fine not being crated. He's "perfect." My other one is "of the devil." LOL! He eats anything not nailed down. So the crate is for his protection.

I crated both when they were puppies to help with house training and when I wasn't home. Gradually, I stopped using it at night when we slept. Now, only one needs it when I'm not home because, yeah, he's "of the devil." :crazy:

It's also nice to get them accustomed to it, as others have pointed out, when company comes over, when you're cleaning, and when they have to stay at the vets/another person's home/boarding when you take a trip/etc.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Crate training has been very important in ours and Abby's life. At 8 - 9 months she achieved full freedom. But occasionally, the crate is used for some of the reasons stated above and we are grateful for it. Since you are asking for advice, I advise you to crate train your dog so that if the time comes that you need it he won't be traumatized.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just have to repeat what most of the others have said. It especially made me feel better when Bo had to spend the night at the vet, he is used to being crated, so at least I didn't have to worry about that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts