German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to understand the whole rescue versus adopt. We want to adopt a GS rather then buy another one from a breeder. Seems like a better thing to do. But, every time I look in the rescue Urgent and find one...it says it has been rescued. So, how do I go about getting it from the rescue or does that mean someone is adopting it? I am more then willing to have a home inspection. I understand how careful the rescue family's have to be to avoid bad owners and puppy mills. :confused:

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
If you see a dog listed here and you are interested in adopting that dog from the rescue that now has it, your first step is to contact the rescue in question and start the application process with them.

Remember that each rescue will have their own process and adoption procedures and rules.

Good luck!
Sheilah

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I've been trying to understand the whole rescue versus adopt.
You adopt *from* a rescue or animal shelter.

Animal shelters have kennels citizens can walk through and pick out a dog. You let the shelter staff know which one you want to adopt, and it may be as simple as "sign here, pay $30 and he's yours right now." Or you may have to go through a short but usually not difficult or intense/thorough "interview" where they may talk to you for 10 or 15 minutes, make sure you know what you're getting into, ask a few questions, have you fill out who your vet is, where you live, what other pets you have, etc. Then you pay and take the dog. Adoption fees can range from free (there are some small county shelters that can't even give them away here in Indiana) to a couple hundred. The dog may or may not be spayed/neutered, vaccinated, temperament tested, etc.

Dog rescues are typically privately run, not county/city run. Basically you get one or more people together who start a dog rescue. Frequently they are taking in dogs from high kill shelters, owner surrendered dogs, or even strays. If it's a good rescue, the dogs will be altered, vaccinated, temperament tested, and will likely be living in a foster home with a volunteer who houses the dog until a home can be found. You contact the rescue, let them know which dog you are interested in, and they will usually have you fill out an application, talk on the phone to them and possibly the foster home, they may conduct a home visit, call your vet, check references, etc. Some will even do a basic background check looking for crimes relating to animal abuse/neglect. Fees will typically be higher than a county or city shelter. But you are usually getting a much healthier animal and will know a lot more about it. It's not such a gamble.

As an aside: just a small pet peeve of mine. A lot of people say they "rescued" their dog, when in reality they just adopted it. A rescue is a dog that is in very bad shape when you obtain it. Extreme weight loss, major health problems, slated for euthanasia the following day or two, etc. Adoption is when you adopt a healthy animal from a no-kill shelter or rescue, or a private adoption from one family to another when the original family can't keep the dog for whatever reason. I have four adopted dogs. Only one of them is, IMHO, a true rescue. The other three all needed homes, but likely would have found them. One of the four had a wicked bad ear infection in both ears, was about 5 - 10 lbs underweight, and overall just unkempt. But he was otherwise in ok shape. The other two were in great condition. My one little rescue girl had run out of options. Rural county shelter, no chance of adoption. Near deaths door upon pick up. That, is a rescue.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Hi Kim...please research the rescue nearest you. There are sticky threads at the top of the rescue sections of questions that you should ask of a rescue. You might be able to get recommendations if you list your state in your profile for everyone to see, or list it here.

The best way to adopt from a rescue is to find one you want to work with and put in an application. A rescue will have a dog in a foster home for a minimum period of time so they can get to know the dog and place it in the most appropriate home for the dog. They do their best to get the best match between the dog and family.

A rescue is not an emaciated, sick dog nor is adopting a dog from a no-kill shelter a guarantee of health. These dogs in no-kill shelters are not sent to a vet for a full physical prior to adoption so could be perfectly healthy or could have an illness or physical problem that has not be detected. As far as I'm concerned whether you "adopt" from a rescue or a shelter you have done the same thing...given a dog that was given up (for whatever reason) a new start. It's all semantics.

Most shelters now have a application process in place where your references are checked and your application has to be approved prior to an adoption.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
A rescue is not an emaciated, sick dog nor is adopting a dog from a no-kill shelter a guarantee of health.
That is not at all what was written, or meant. I said when you "adopt a healthy animal" not that adopting from there meant you were *getting* a healthy animal. I limited that to a no kil shelter to be clear that the animal is not going to be put down, thus its life is not in danger via ill health or euthanasia. Sorry to confuse you! :)

Regarding rescue vs adoption terms, that is simply a matter of opinion I suppose. I certainly won't try to change anyones mind one way or the other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts