German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a wonderful GSD female who is 10 years old. We lost our little chihuahua a couple of years ago. Nadja (GSD) and cookie got along very well, ate from the same bowl every night, shared treats and toys with no problem. We lost another little dog a year before that and Nadja loved her too.

We now want to add another little puppy back to our family. He is a chihuahua Yorkie (Chorkie). Will be the same size as cookie when full grown.

Should we worry about Nadja hurting the little puppy?

Nadja is very aggressive with other dogs when out walking in the park on leash. She has gotten out of the yard once and attached a large dog just walking by.
BUT, if my kids bring over their golden retriever or large Pit Bull mixed breed dogs, she plays with them until completely tuckered out.

We have heard such horror stories about GSD killing small dogs we are very worried to bring a new little dog home.

Any experiences or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

GSDLoverSWFL

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I personally wouldn't take that chance. If you decide to go for it take weeks for the intros and keep in mind that it may not work so have a plan B

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
Here’s the thing... I think it can be done, but you’ll have to be prepared and understand that the relationship she has with this new dog may look very different from the last. So lose the expectation of sharing the same bowls and things like that - it’s incredibly risky and unnecessary to be honest. If you’re willing to be diligent and make adjustments on your side of things, then it should be fine.

All of that said, I wouldn’t do it. 10yr old dogs can get grumpy, she’s already shown you that she has some edge to her... and puppies can be incredibly rude, they don’t know any better.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I guess my perspective is a bit different. Your girl has shown that she can get along just fine with small dogs in the past, so there's no reason at all to think she wouldn't now.

My dog had never had to share anything until I took in my sister's chihuahua when she was around 9 months old. After some displays of minor jealousy they became inseparable pals and were fine from then on!

Honestly at 10 I think she's be better with a small Chi puppy than she would with another large breed puppy. Larger puppies can be bothersome, smaller dogs are a smaller annoyance...

Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
I guess my perspective is a bit different. Your girl has shown that she can get along just fine with small dogs in the past, so there's no reason at all to think she wouldn't now.
There’s a presumed timeline here... was Nadja a then puppy being introduced to 3-4yr old chihuahuas when their relationship began? It makes a difference...

I have a video of Tilden playing wonderfully with 2 jack russells, 2 Boston terriers and an Italian greyhound... another video of him on his back while my kitten has him pinned in a headlock.......but, he didn’t like puppies.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
I have little experience with Toy breeds but I think a lot has to do with your dogs ability to communicate with other dogs and she has a track history of lacking in that department.

Also, at her age, her dynamics are changing and she may have less tolerance with aches, pains and other unfavorable nuances associated with age.

A breeder once told me that dogs tend to target light and white colored small animals. I have never been able to find out further information but IMPE, my dogs have a real issue with my little white cat where they ignore the same behaviors from colored cats. So the color of the pup itself can contribute to problems from my observations.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You know your dog, You have concerns. If you aren't 100% confident that as pack leader you can lay down the law, "This is a new pack member and you will behave and help protect and raise it." Then you should not get a new puppy. Remember your emotions, fears and energy are transmitted to the dogs and will influence how their interactions will go.

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
I think you have to know your dog pretty. If your dog is has a playful side and there is structure and boundaries. I don’t see why it would not work out. There has to be boundaries layed out even the most older docile dogs may grow impatient of rambunctious pups. Max does not like other dogs and I brought home Luna as a pup when he was 2 they are the best of friends. I knew he would adjust and they would be good friends. Topper the chihuahua over ten years old he was never to thrilled about the gsd pups and I knew he would not be but he adjusted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just added a puppy to our 5 year old...much easier to add a puppy that's zero threat than an older dog imo. Puppies can be a royal pain at 3-4 months sop be sure to give the GSD an escape place and all will be well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts