German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im shopping for a new training collar and Im reading a lot of mixed reviews here and there for these three companies that ive narrowed it down to. How does the customer service, build quality, and warranties compare between these companies?

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I have a Dogtra IQ which I got several years ago for a specific problem. Their customer service was very responsive when I had trouble with it. It did exactly what I needed it to do. It never broke, but the strap cracked. I think my dog scratched it and ripped it with a toenail. It was an odd thing, so it was probably a long toenail. I had them replace the strap and they also replaced the battery. I was very pleased with their service. I don’t need it now, but I continue to make sure the battery doesn’t run out completely while idle. I probably should remove the battery. I have not tested whether it is completely waterproof or not.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
What are you planning to use the e-collar for? I would consider looking at E-collar Technology's Mini Educator and the Boss. They are very reliable, functional and have a good reputation regarding customer service, warranties, etc. The mini is a low to medium stim collar and the Boss is a low to high stim collar. I started out with the Mini and had to go to the Boss, which is enough stim , if needed for about any dog. I use the lowest stim necessary to get the correct behavior and the level of stim will change based on what you are doing with the dog, his drive state, and each individual dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only have access to dogtra, garmin, and sportsdog. I need to get a training collar for correcting and remote commands when off leash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Dogtra IQ which I got several years ago for a specific problem. Their customer service was very responsive when I had trouble with it. It did exactly what I needed it to do. It never broke, but the strap cracked. I think my dog scratched it and ripped it with a toenail. It was an odd thing, so it was probably a long toenail. I had them replace the strap and they also replaced the battery. I was very pleased with their service. I don’t need it now, but I continue to make sure the battery doesn’t run out completely while idle. I probably should remove the battery. I have not tested whether it is completely waterproof or not.
can you tell me the feel anf build quality of the dogtra collars and remotes? are they both waterproof and will they survive if dropped multiple times?

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
The remote comes with a neck strap. I dropped it a few times, but mostly just wore it to keep my hands free. The collar device is only a few inches long. It is not big. the strap feeds through it. The collar is plastic. I did not test for being waterproof when submerged. It got wet a few times but not soaked. Also, if you get any waterproof collar and need a new battery, that may defeat the waterproof ability if any collar. If you want to be certain, have them change a battery for you if needed.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have a mini educator and I hate it never consistent battery does not last long. I just got a garmen 550 love it.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I have a mini educator and I hate it never consistent battery does not last long.
Really?! That's crazy! Definitely not the norm. I have about ten e-collar tech collars and I don't even remember when I charge them. I'd reach out to them and get that handled. Their customer service is by far the best around.

OP- I ran dogtra's for a very long time. I still love them. even though I have switched to e-collar technologies. I never had any issues with them other than the batteries had to get replaced about once a year. I'm hard on collars and remotes. I'm good at dropping them out of my truck, throwing them across a training field to my wife and so on. My dogtra 1900's always held up. Likewise, my e-collar tech collars do too. I ran a tri-tronics for a few months. Hated it and sold it. No reliability issues, it just didn't have enough adjustment.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I love Dogtra, but their customer service basically sucks.

Have been happy with quality. Been using this brand for about ten years give or take.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts