German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm strongly considering switching my dog from Diamond Naturals to American Journey (the grain free chicken and rice one). The one I'm wanting to try is really for weight loss, but I'm going to try it to firm up my dog's poops and possibly regulate how much he poops (fingers crossed on that one--not sure if that's a reasonable hope). It has 10.0 max fiber, which is a far cry from the 2 or 3 max fiber he's on.
Does anyone have experience with this food?

I should also mention he seems to have an allergy to pumpkin, which is why I don't feed it to him to help the stools. Also, he is not overweight, so I'm not looking to lower his current weight. I'm just thinking he needs more fiber.

Thanks for any comments!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I fed the American Journey Salmon and Rice formula for a couple of years. It was a pretty good food for the money. I've since switched to Pro Plan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I personally have no experience with American Journey, but if you go to this link https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/american-journey-grain-free-dog-food/ and scroll down to the reviews of actual people who have used American Journey for their dogs, the reviews are NOT GOOD at all. Dog Food Advisor rates it as a 5 star brand food but I highly highly believe that it's falsified. Do research before choosing dog food, and read those reviews!!!

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
It has 10.0 max fiber, which is a far cry from the 2 or 3 max fiber he's on.
FWIW, they recommend that EPI and SIBO/SID dogs use a food with a maximum of 4% fiber to firm up stools.

I mix my dogs food up feeding various kibble with raw. I find that they have the firmest stool on the lower fiber foods or on all raw.

Have you tried feeding some raw in addition to his kibble?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts