German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got Gunnar last week and it's been 10 days and I'm absolutely exhausted. I take her out every hr, crate her when i can't take any more of her chewing on inappropriate items, keep her on a leash/tether when she just wants to wander around our large family room (too many places to chew forbidden things and go poo or pee) and take her for outside play w/ me twice a day. She's finally getting her vaccinations tomorrow (she's almost 9 weeks...Xmas and NY's interfered). I've taken off from work so i can be around her and I have not had more than 3 hrs sleep at a time since we got her. I knew she would be a huge commitment worthy of it all but i can't even take a shower or pay the bills...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks...that's on the list for tomorrow: BUY KONG (that's if I can actually take a shower and get out of the house and buy it, lol). I'm a night RN w/ 3 kids so I've been sleep deprived but NEVER like this!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Even picking an area that can be her's and then puppy proofing it is nice for puppy timeouts and mommy time. We use our kitchen and when they were little just put our chairs up on the table and applied Velcro leg guards to the table itself. Everything else was out of reach and we have a double gating system to make hopping gates impossible.

Another thing that really helped us was tiring the puppy out. Especially when their young 30 minutes of hard core running around destroys them for at least an 1-2 hours. Kongs with peanut butter or wet food frozen in them or a good big old raw soup bone are also great for another hour of puppy relief. Other than that it does get better and in a few months you'll look at this post and totally laugh:)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
use the crate.

We got Gunnar last week and it's been 10 days and I'm absolutely exhausted. I take her out every hr, crate her when i can't take any more of her chewing on inappropriate items, keep her on a leash/tether when she just wants to wander around our large family room (too many places to chew forbidden things and go poo or pee) and take her for outside play w/ me twice a day. She's finally getting her vaccinations tomorrow (she's almost 9 weeks...Xmas and NY's interfered). I've taken off from work so i can be around her and I have not had more than 3 hrs sleep at a time since we got her. I knew she would be a huge commitment worthy of it all but i can't even take a shower or pay the bills...

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Pick up some bully sticks while your out as well - they saved my sanity as well as a lot of my house!! We had one out for Kokoda most of the time (we got ones that were just big enough to last a day or more) and she would generally choose that over anything else. Kept her busy for longer than anything else, as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have her scheduled for her first puppy class this Saturday. I wish there was an area to puppy proof but my family room is abt 800sq foot of kitchen, sitting area, etc so there"s no area unless i buy one of those moveable fences...and she will knock that over w/ one paw, lol. right now she's sleeping like an angel....for a whole 45 min!! thx for the suggestions and I feel much better w/ the support and knowing that "this too shall pass".

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Now look at that face; that is not the face of a naughty puppy. I'm sure you're exaggerating and she really sleeps ten hours a night and take two hour naps in both the morning and evening. You can tell just by looking at her.

Jelpy and the mesquite mafia

·
Registered
940 Posts
Now look at that face; that is not the face of a naughty puppy. I'm sure you're exaggerating and she really sleeps ten hours a night and take two hour naps in both the morning and evening. You can tell just by looking at her.

Jelpy and the mesquite mafia
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Put the puppy in the crate when you need downtime....that's the whole point of crate training. I don't understand why you can't take a shower, pay the bills, etc if you are crate training (I wouldn't assume you are, except that you stated you are).

You need to get an x-pen (exercise pen). Look on craigslist and use the search feature on there to try combos such as "dog pen" "puppy pen" or "baby pen"

You can then set it up on puppy safe flooring (not carpeting) and put tons of toys, etc in there for the pup to have out of crate time in a puppy proof area.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I remember those days too clearly. LOL But the crate does help and so does working with your puppy...exercising and training.

As your puppy gets older, it does get easier! Hang in there!

·
Registered
6 Posts
hahahaha! I know this feeling, though I was lucky because when I first brought my pup home, she didn't cry, she was potty and crate trained in about a week. Though she is still young so I have to take her out every 3 hours, and at night my girlfriend and I take turns taking her out everytime the alarm goes off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I first got Candy, she kicked my butt the first few months or so. Eventually, you'll both find a groove that works. It will get easier as time goes on.

Candy has full roam of the house, even while I'm at work. Granted, things are somewhat doggy proof but the credit goes to her. She's become a very well behaved best buddy. I seriously doubt I will ever have such a house friendly dog after her, which frankly scares me at times.

·
Registered
53 Posts
puppies are DEFINITELY a handful! I landed a job the same week I was going to pick up my pup, but I said "I will not be able to start for 2 weeks" just because I knew what I was in for. I know that not everyone can request that much time off...let alone ONE week..but consistency an patience are going to pay off when the puppy grows a little older. When they reach the 3/4 month mark, yes they are still going to need to be supervised, but by this point, they should be housebroken, so that should take a weight off your shoulders enough as it is :) My suggestion is to get 5 hour energy so you can get through your days a little easier, because you know as well as I do that you gotta work, and that puppy needs your attention too! I don't joke when I tell my clients with puppies, that its just about as much work as a baby!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
We got Gunnar last week and it's been 10 days and I'm absolutely exhausted. I take her out every hr, crate her when i can't take any more of her chewing on inappropriate items, keep her on a leash/tether when she just wants to wander around our large family room (too many places to chew forbidden things and go poo or pee) and take her for outside play w/ me twice a day. She's finally getting her vaccinations tomorrow (she's almost 9 weeks...Xmas and NY's interfered). I've taken off from work so i can be around her and I have not had more than 3 hrs sleep at a time since we got her. I knew she would be a huge commitment worthy of it all but i can't even take a shower or pay the bills...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Puppies really are exhausting. I know that I have to take them outside the home to wear them out from the start. Safe places with healthy dogs and good friends.

Just planning once a day (or every other day) to LEAVE the house with a car ride included to take the puppy somewhere is a huge help for me. Both the mental and physical stimulation involved brings me home with a much less charged up puppy.

OFF LEASHED ACTIVITIES are key to do at this age in NEW places! A young puppy won't run off (you aren't in a crowd but a field/woods) they have to stay near you or will freak out. So we can use this to get a great 'off leash' puppy while getting them exercised. They can wander a bit and sniff a bit and we just have to walk when they are young.

This is what I have to do with my puppies or I can hardly bear it either:

Making a playdate to visit a friend and their dog:

Really rousing tugging and play along with teaching tricks can start up right away if you use treats (better still if you add the clicker)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
1. Use the crate. Personally I'm OK with the pup throwing a fit in the crate so I can get stuff done. Ideally the crate is a happy, calm place but most pups don't come out of the womb sharing my opinion and need to become somewhat "crate broke".

2. Get some chews. My dogs are not as interested in Kongs as they are in bully sticks or RMBs. These are more expensive but last a puppy a long time. A 12" braided bully stick would last my little puppy a week or so.

3. Take the puppy lots of places for socialization and to tire her out. Other people can love on her and play with her. I like to just walk into the pet store with my puppy and basically hand him over to the staff. They will play with him while I grab a few things. There's always someone that want's to pet a puppy.

4. Depending on the weather, you could use a car crate and start showing the puppy she's not going to die if she's separated for an hour or so. All my dogs do Schutzhund and other various dog sports that require a lot of travel for training and competing so they must be OK with being kenneled in our van. I start this day one. As long as it's not below 20 degrees the puppy gets some alone time in the van kennel. Today for example I have people coming over, we have a tiny house and my dogs are large and can be rambunctious so guess where they are being crated? In the van. My puppy is now 4 months old but he loves the van crate better than the house crate, he runs right to his sliding door and hops into his crate. If I ever need some piece and quiet, or say I'm going to clean with chemicals or something, I can crate everyone in the van and they are happy.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
1. Use the crate. Personally I'm OK with the pup throwing a fit in the crate so I can get stuff done. Ideally the crate is a happy, calm place but most pups don't come out of the womb sharing my opinion and need to become somewhat "crate broke".
Hee! I completely agree. I spend a lot of time with my puppies, but there were times when *I* needed a break. I have no problem with using a crate for this. And all my dogs loved their crate. Of course, I never opened the door and let them out during a tantrum. As a result, they stopped doing it. It was a fairly quick process.

4. Depending on the weather, you could use a car crate and start showing the puppy she's not going to die if she's separated for an hour or so. All my dogs do Schutzhund and other various dog sports that require a lot of travel for training and competing so they must be OK with being kenneled in our van. I start this day one. As long as it's not below 20 degrees the puppy gets some alone time in the van kennel. Today for example I have people coming over, we have a tiny house and my dogs are large and can be rambunctious so guess where they are being crated? In the van. My puppy is now 4 months old but he loves the van crate better than the house crate, he runs right to his sliding door and hops into his crate. If I ever need some piece and quiet, or say I'm going to clean with chemicals or something, I can crate everyone in the van and they are happy.
This is a FABULOUS idea! I can't believe I never thought of that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts