German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl is 9 months old. We used to walk her twice a day, but now that it's winter, it's only once. The problem is that my boyfriend is of the opinion that some days, no walks are necessary. In which case, I just walk her myself. Ideally, we'd share this task equally. Don't get me wrong, we both enjoy walking her, but it's much better if some days, one of us can take a break. Do you believe that a walk is needed everyday? We don't have a fenced in yard, so it seems logical to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pepper would drive me absolutely insane if her only exercise was one walk a day. Most days, she takes a nice long hike in the woods with me in the morning, then, depending on the day, she either goes to doggie daycare, or I take her to the dog park later in the afternoon. She spends a good chunk of the day running (voluntarily, not forced) after the other dogs. In the summer, she usually goes to a dog friendly pond to swim too.

She’s in heat right now, so she can’t play with other dogs, so my husband and I (and my in laws, who live nearby)alternate so she gets 4 walks a day, or three with some playtime in the yard. Even with that, she’s a little too rambunctious. I couldn’t imagine what she’d be like on just one walk, or god forbid, no walk.

GSDs are an athletic bunch. I don’t feel that one walk, or no walk, is enough unless you’re supplementing it with tons of playtime, like fetch, or that one walk is at least 2-3 miles.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
I don’t walk mine every day. Instead some days we play fetch or have some tug sessions with OB mixed in and if time is in short supply we do nothing. I try to make sure they get quality off leash time 2 or 3 days a week, but lately it’s been 1-2. In the warmer months swimming and hiking accounts for most of our activity.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My girl is 9 months old. We used to walk her twice a day, but now that it's winter, it's only once. The problem is that my boyfriend is of the opinion that some days, no walks are necessary. In which case, I just walk her myself. Ideally, we'd share this task equally. Don't get me wrong, we both enjoy walking her, but it's much better if some days, one of us can take a break. Do you believe that a walk is needed everyday? We don't have a fenced in yard, so it seems logical to me.

Is there other ways for her to use the bathroom besides the walk? I obviously recommend walking her every single day, if not that bent up energy will explode in your house which is no fun for either of you. That being said, one day here and there is not going to be the end of the world as long as she has another way to use the bathroom. Im in Miami so if we get a hurricane or something theres no outside time and theres no way around it, but after that first day you can def notice a difference in attitude, esp if she is used to going on multiple walks a day.
So after all that my final answer is yes, if your are physically able to take her without it being unsafe due to snow or ice or whatever just do it, the alternative is a crazy dog and unhappy owners.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I alternate days with my dogs. Some activities are hiking, swimming, playing in the yard with me, or playing in the yard with each other.

On leash walking can be good enrichment for your dog but although it is exercise for you, it is not exercise for her. If that is all the activity she is getting, then it really does not matter much whether she is walked or not as it relates to physical exercise for her.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pepper would drive me absolutely insane if her only exercise was one walk a day. Most days, she takes a nice long hike in the woods with me in the morning, then, depending on the day, she either goes to doggie daycare, or I take her to the dog park later in the afternoon. She spends a good chunk of the day running (voluntarily, not forced) after the other dogs. In the summer, she usually goes to a dog friendly pond to swim too.

She’s in heat right now, so she can’t play with other dogs, so my husband and I (and my in laws, who live nearby)alternate so she gets 4 walks a day, or three with some playtime in the yard. Even with that, she’s a little too rambunctious. I couldn’t imagine what she’d be like on just one walk, or god forbid, no walk.

GSDs are an athletic bunch. I don’t feel that one walk, or no walk, is enough unless you’re supplementing it with tons of playtime, like fetch, or that one walk is at least 2-3 miles.
Wow! You have a very active dog. Walks for us, include fetch at the park for maybe a half hour to an hour. We do nose work and tug inside the house. One walk seems to be good enough for our girl. I didn't think it would be, but she's adapted pretty well. I definitely think at lest one outing a day is necessary.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Is there other ways for her to use the bathroom besides the walk? I obviously recommend walking her every single day, if not that bent up energy will explode in your house which is no fun for either of you. That being said, one day here and there is not going to be the end of the world as long as she has another way to use the bathroom. Im in Miami so if we get a hurricane or something theres no outside time and theres no way around it, but after that first day you can def notice a difference in attitude, esp if she is used to going on multiple walks a day.
So after all that my final answer is yes, if your are physically able to take her without it being unsafe due to snow or ice or whatever just do it, the alternative is a crazy dog and unhappy owners.
We have a small backyard and she goes potty back there. The issue is merely boredom. When she doesn't get an outing in the morning, she finds ways to get into trouble. Nothing serious, but I'd rather have a satisfied dog then have to deal with her shenanigans all day. Lol!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I alternate days with my dogs. Some activities are hiking, swimming, playing in the yard with me, or playing in the yard with each other.

On leash walking can be good enrichment for your dog but although it is exercise for you, it is not exercise for her. If that is all the activity she is getting, then it really does not matter much whether she is walked or not as it relates to physical exercise for her.
I should've mentioned that we walk to the local park and play fetch in the baseball fields for usually a half or or more. It seems to tire her out enough to where she's pretty calm the rest of the day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts