German Shepherds Forum banner

What is your work situation & how much do you train your dog?

• I am single & I work full-time,dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • I am single & I work part-time,dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • I am single & I don't work,dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily

• I am single & I work full-time,dog gets <1 hours of non-yard exercise daily

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I am single & I work part-time,dog gets <1 hour of non-yard exercise daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • In relationship, both work full-time,dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • In relationship, both work part-time,dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily

• In relationship, work f/t and p/t,dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • In relationship, someone stays home f/t, dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily

• In relationship, both work full-time,dog gets <1 hours of non-yard exercise daily

• In relationship, work f/t and p/t,dog gets <1 hours of non-yard exercise daily

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I'm a student/other, dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • 'm a student/other, dog gets <1 hours of non-yard exercise daily

• My dog gets <1 hour of non-yard exercise daily but 1+ on weekends

• My dog only gets exercised in my yard/on my property during the week

• Other

Votes: 7 9.5%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious with all of the different threads on daily exercise & training. I know I won't cover all the options, so if you are "other", please specify.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
You forgot the poll. :) Do you mean our exercising or the dogs exercising? Please clarify your question.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hee hee, oops! I just put exercise on there, too many options with training, too :)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I answered the first one. I am single, I work full-time and I work on something with Madix for at least an hour every day. I don't have a yard, I live in an apartment so I either take him to the park and we play fetch, work on fast downs/sits, play with the flirt pole and work on obedience. In the house I work on one-jump training, perch work, basic positioning and commands and new tricks. Plus, I have three training days a week - right now we have CGC class (again lol) on Mondays, Thursdays we have Flyball and Sundays are Schutzhund (and we go to open agility when we can with the local club). In March we will be having Rally on Mondays, Flyball Thursdays and Schutzhund Sundays. In May, Agility on one night (not sure which yet) and then Flyball and Schutzhund.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I am single.

I am a graduate student.

I work part time.

Stark participates in agility 1 hour per week.

Stark participates in schutzhund (on hiatus at the moment) 1-2 days per week; anywhere from 2 hours to 3 hours (time split up over the course of the day).

We have a formal nightly training group that meets at the local park or around the city which is anywhere from 1/2 hour to an hour (sometimes more with play in between or after).

We work on a lot of things in our apartment such as perch work, agility jumps/weaves, various commands and tricks.

We also work on other things on our nightly walk/play time at the local park or school yard (no yard, as I live in an apartment).

We also try to track 2-4 times per week (yes, even in the winter!).

We have just started working on rally patterns recently for an upcoming trial so that is done throughout the day for 5-10 minutes each session.

**Stark has more of a life than I do.**

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm a grad student, working with an assistantship at my school.

We go to an intermediate puppy class for an hour a week, and will probably move to agility or something once this one is finished.

We walk every day, 30-90 minutes, play in the dog park or the park across the street.

We spend time doing some obedience and tricks in the house, and a good game of tug/fetch.

I try to hit the dog park 3-5 times a week, and he gets to go to an all day day-care about once a week. Day care is a life saver during finals.

At worst - he gets 30 mins of outside play time, and about 30 mins inside time. (More than a day or two of this and I have a wound-up crazy dog! Which is why I discovered daycare for finals weeks.)
At best - we spend a full day doing things.

·
5,627 Posts
Single (live alone and my family aren't dog people).

Work full time.

Grad school part time (one night a week - I did more one semester and decided I wasn't home with the dogs enough).

Dogs get a 45-60 min walk most days, more on weekends. Dog walker comes on days I have class or something after work. 30 min of training at home daily. Play time in the yard with each other (and me). Goal is class once a week for each dog (Kaiser starts Wed, need to wait on next set of classes for Raven). Socialization on weekends (either rescue events or trips out).

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I marked other: In a relationship but we are both home 24/7.

Molly gets an hour to an hour and a half walk every morning, fetch for about half an hour in the yard, an hour to an hour and a half at the park every afternoon (just not in the last few weeks as she is recovering from surgery).

We start agility next week - an hour class a week.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I'm of the belief that 'exercising' consists more than walking (jogging / running) with your dog. Even if we have adverse weather conditions, I make sure that I do something each day to stimulate my dogs, mentally and physically - even if it's just lightly tossing a ball in the house, or playing different house games with them.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Married. Hubby works full-time, I work part-time and go to school. Rocky gets less than 1hr of non-yard exercise per day, but check back with me when Kopper is 7 months old. :)

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Hard to totally find a category to vot in since it varies.

Both work full time.

"Work outs" vary. Sometimes we're only going to fit some fun ball playing in and house work (i.e. heeling patterns, searching for toys). Other days it's an agility class. Other days a 4 miles walk and SAR practice. Other days an obedience class. Other days an 8 mile hike.

So AVERAGE I'm sure it's more than an hour...but no, I'm not actually working here EVERY SINGLE day for more than an hour.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The weather has severely impacted our outdoor time. I was hanging in until it was below 10 a few days in a row. Off leash romps are held to about 30 minutes right now because that's about the amount of time it takes for me to stop feeling my toes.

Were you thinking that if you were partnered, that would automatically mean 2 people available to work with the dog? I have a partner, but all doggy responsibilities are mine. Hubby will go with us on a hike or walk sometimes, but exercise, feeding, potty time, clean up --- all mine per our agreement. Hubs does the 4 elderly cats.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I am married. We both don't really work lol and I am a full time student (grad)
I use our treadmill to walk the dogs on weeks I am overloaded with school work.(I guess I should have checked "other" for the treadmill walks)
I usually rotate them out and try each day to take one dog to the park. On the warm weekends we are at the lake or hiking for hours with the 2 GSD only. Cold days we go to the park across the creek and play ball or jog.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I put other. I am self-employed. The amount of exercise the dogs get depends on the day and the time of year. Sometimes less than an hour and sometimes up to 3-4 hours in a day. Training is 5-7 days per week, even if just a little bit like having to do sit/down/stand for a treat. Other days we do all three phases (tracking, obedience and protection).

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I started and run two companies, am in grad school, am studying for my OUPV license, and work full time for one of my two companies, and train maybe 30 mins or so during the week, 3 hours or so on Thursday nights, and 3 hours or so on Saturdays or Sundays

I date when I can lol

·
Registered
441 Posts
I was working full time M-F and PT on the weekends (still9hrs a day) until earlier this month. My evenings were all about Aspen and getting him out. I was laid off my M-F job, so now Aspen has me all day....lots of training and playing going on right now. I wonder if he will be sad when I find M-F work again!

·
2,967 Posts
I am in a relationship. I am a teacher, DH is an attorney. We both work full time. During the week the dogs get all their exercise in the yard. Weekends though they are out and about. Training alone is a minimum 5 hour affair.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I date when I can lol
Date? What's that? Hahaha...

I have had a few dates and the second I open my apartment door and they are greeted by Stark... it's all over. Hahaha.. So far, all of my dates have been terrified of Stark.. go figure!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
In a relationship, 2 young kids, I work p/t, he works f/t, and Zoe gets at least an hour a day running and playing outside the yard where I incorporate training between play:)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I work from home, my husband travels a lot so his time at home varies weekly. We hike in the woods daily, class weekly, training daily, and soon back to herding twice a week. I also take Stosh to the office at least once a week.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts