German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Morning- 2 yr. old Heidi- rescue- been training for 2 weeks.

What are your opinions on allowing a no previous training young dog unlimited access to large

acreage simply for exercise and body fitness.

Heidi goes into wild mode, barking at farm animals, trying to chase them, ignoring commands

and refusal to be caught. When on a leash, she's reasonably obedient considering we've only been

working for a couple weeks. I've read some online training articles that suggest limiting the

free range running since adrenaline starts building in their bodies and continues to a point, the

young, unexperienced dog can't control their behavior. I see this happening as her fitness

improves. My thoughts are she's immature mentally and needs to moderate her excitement.

Rather, she needs to learn to moderate her exuberance.

I have large acre, mowed pastures that she loves to run and roam but it's making her WILD.

Your thoughts?? Just keep on leash training for now?

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
The risk of injury or worse is too high, keep leash training until her obedience is rock solid for her safety and that of the farm animals. We all like to see our dogs happily enjoying themselves off leash, but it has to earned.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
How long have you had this dog?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3 weeks- she's a shelter adoption, had already had a litter of puppies based on her sagging nipples and was unspayed,

picked up by animal control as stray. Totally feral, but socially friendly to people.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
If she were feral she would not be social and friendly to people. She was somebody's pet.

You need to take time to bond with her. Take her for some hikes. Play with her. Make yourself fun. Make training fun. Whatever you do, stop trying to "catch her". I would keep her leashed for now until you have bonded better and have more control.

And where are the pictures? We need to see pictures to give better advice. :)

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Get a long line, so she can have some freedom, but still be attached to you. A 30 ft. horse lunge line is a good idea. I don't recommend Flexi style leashes, as they don't give good control. The thin cord can cause serious injuries to you or the dog, the plastic controller only allows you to use one hand to control the dog, and the buttons never seem to work when you most need them to!

I've actually heard of Flexi cords severing tendons if they get wrapped around a dog's leg, and causing serious cuts/abrasions to humans.

The lunge line OTOH, is meant for controlling a 1500 lb. animal, is very sturdy, and gives a good grip.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Get a long line, so she can have some freedom, but still be attached to you. A 30 ft. horse lunge line is a good idea. I don't recommend Flexi style leashes, as they don't give good control. The thin cord can cause serious injuries to you or the dog, the plastic controller only allows you to use one hand to control the dog, and the buttons never seem to work when you most need them to!

I've actually heard of Flexi cords severing tendons if they get wrapped around a dog's leg, and causing serious cuts/abrasions to humans.

The lunge line OTOH, is meant for controlling a 1500 lb. animal, is very sturdy, and gives a good grip.
Don't try using paracord, either. Ripped open my husband's hand when our pup got overexcited and started running off.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Don't try using paracord, either. Ripped open my husband's hand when our pup got overexcited and started running off.
I made that mistake with one of my first dogs, and still have a scar on my left hand where a chunk of skin was ripped off! Except it was sash cord, not paracord.

I did a complete forward somersault when she hit the end of that line, and I tried to stop her... :rolleyes:

Certainly one of the dumbest things I've ever done when training my dogs!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really think this will work. Thanks. I have several horse lunge lines and you're right it will give her more freedom.

We will start hiking the large pastures tomorrow AM when it's cooler. Still 90 here every day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts