German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi GS lovers..my 3yr old female Grace has the daily freedom of an acre+ to roam & romp..does she need much more exercise ? Occasionally i take her through nearby fields where she races to keep up with my very nimble Beagle..i worry this racing ( til she is breathless ) is not good her as she has slooping back..though her hip score is fine.. i would love to get advice :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
GSD's need both mental and physical exercise, Delgado can run for hours but after his hour long puppy class he's exhausted and ready for a nap :) As long as she's getting both and happy I wouldn't worry about it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you Shanna for easing my conscience..i dont always have time to go walking..but i want them to have the best life :):)

gerry

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have 1.5 acres and my dogs often run around enjoying themselves on my property. That is not enough though. While technically they could get all the physical exercise they need on my property, dogs like GSD's really do need to get out new places, see new things, smell new things, meet new people, etc. You definitely need to continue taking them off the property sometimes. Even just taking them up the street is good mental stimulation. They get to smell new things, which does work their brain. A car ride to the store can be good mental stimulation if your dog enjoys the car.

To answer your other question, no, your dog running around chasing your Beagle is absolutely nothing to be worried about. You don't want to force exercise on your dog (such as tying it to your bike and riding up the road), but there's nothing wrong with your dog running on its own, even if it runs until it's completely and utterly exhausted. Your dog won't hurt itself by running around your property. GSD's are meant to run, even though us humans have messed up the breed over the years.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have 1.5 acres and my dogs often run around enjoying themselves on my property. That is not enough though. While technically they could get all the physical exercise they need on my property, dogs like GSD's really do need to get out new places, see new things, smell new things, meet new people, etc.
^^ This, a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I have 1.5 acres and my dogs often run around enjoying themselves on my property. That is not enough though. While technically they could get all the physical exercise they need on my property, dogs like GSD's really do need to get out new places, see new things, smell new things, meet new people, etc. You definitely need to continue taking them off the property sometimes. Even just taking them up the street is good mental stimulation. They get to smell new things, which does work their brain. A car ride to the store can be good mental stimulation if your dog enjoys the car.
Yep. Viking gets more tired in a single Flyball or intense obedience session than he ever has from running around at the park or even in the house.

^^ This, a mind is a terrible thing to waste.
I agree with that but on a sidenote that's always how I felt in school. I was bored out of my mind because school was not mentally stimulating enough (got straight As without even trying, aced all my tests, etc but nothing was involving enough and the teachers were robotic and did not let students think for themselves). I can kind of relate to a shepherd that's just expected to do the standard backyard running and walks/jogs because I know what it feels like to go nuts from a lack of mental stimulation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts