German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! As a new and first time GSD owner I’m back with more questions! I’ve been trying to find a solid answer for how much exercise my pup needs, but I can’t seem to find something that gives a pretty clear answer. I’m deathly afraid of overworking her and hurting her, so I was wondering how much she should actually be exercising? She turns 7 months January 18th. She’s never chewed or really shown signs of being bored and is over all a pretty calm dog but I want to make sure she’s getting her exercise requirements.
We usually play fetch 30 minutes in the morning and fetch again when I get home from work for about 30-45 minutes or we go for an hour walk. On the weekends we usually go to a nature park and walk and she’ll sleep the rest of the day. Is this too much? Or not enough?
Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
The reason it's hard to get a definitive answer is that dog's energy levels vary so much. IMHO a bare minimum is 30 minutes to an hour a day, running, exploring, or actively playing (fetch, tug, etc.) off leash. I've never been a big fan of just walking a dog, as it really doesn't exercise the dog much (though they do love exploring, even at that pace!).

That being said, my pup was going on 3+ mile hikes with me from about 5 months on, and because she was constantly running ahead and back and to the side and all around, for her it was probably at least 8 miles! So for her walking a couple miles wouldn't have seemed like exercise, it would have been a good prelude to exercise!

I don't think you should worry too much about over exercising your puppy, as long as it's not forced exercise, as in taking her out for a 10 mile run with no breaks even when she shows signs of fatigue. Or repetitive jumping, or something along those lines. If your puppy spends a fair amount of downtime sleeping, and isn't showing any signs of boredom, chances are she's getting adequate exercise.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't think there is any specific "right amount" of exercise. This depends on the individual dog and lifestyle you have as an owner. If you increase the amount exercise then chances are your dog will come to expect this, so as long as you can consistently provide the same amount of exercise and stimulation then the sky is the limit I suppose! My girl is 11 months and would not be satisfied with the amount of exercise you provide, but if your dog is calm and does not seem to have any boredom related behaviors, then I don't see any real problem.

The main thing to avoid at this age would be jumping from heights or excessive diving around that might cause injury or wear, but as long as it's safe there is no real reason to limit exercise. Make sure that the diet / exercise balance maintains your girl at a lean body condition, this would be the primary concern for overall health.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don’t if I posted this in the right place or not but I just brought my new German Shepherd home 2 days ago. He’s about 5 months old and he’s super skidish and he only wants to be in my bed room or in his kennel. If you take him out anywhere else he'll just run to one of the spots and hide. And with him doing that he barely eats or drinks and it’s hard to work with him and train him. I haven’t even got him leash trained yet because of this. I’m in need of help!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Exercise needs for almost 7 month olde

Like mentioned above it totally depends on your lifestyle.

For us we take our dogs outside off leash to our condo’s dog park once a day 5-6 days a week for anywhere from 30-1hr. (The dog park is a pretty big size and has up & down hill sections with dirt & grass areas plus a walkng path that’s about a mile loop. 9/10 it’s either empty when we go or it’s the same dogs there).

We usually go on a long lead hike about once a week. There isn’t many off leash areas where I live. (Surbs in southern Cali). Plus I still don’t trust them 100% off leash if not in an enclosed area. We are working on that.

We also play inside throughout the day. Hide and seek with the ball. My fiancé wrestles with them. The pups also play together a lot. And little training sessions.

We have outside time on our patio where they chew on their elk antlers on the patio while I read or we people/dog watch.

We also try to provide a lot of mental stimulation as well.

They have their elk antlers they get 3x a day for small Periods is time (like while I’m reading in bed at night, every morning after breakfast before their nap, and usually while I’m watching tv). I will feed them one meal in their Kong’s as well.

I have also started to teach them each a new command (like spin or back up) and we will practice it periodically throughout the day. We took a break with learning new stuff for about a month while we desensitized Layla to dogs and worked on their structed walking leash skills.

They’re are 9 months now. Our first snow trip is planned for next month. And our first beach trip shortly after to get them ready for the beach visits in the summer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I forgot to mention to also use the flirt pole when the dog park is empty or even inside (we have very open living room/dining with just a couch and tv)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Don't forget that while physical exercise is good and necessary, mental exercise can also tire and dog and satisfy his need to not be bored. If you combine play with training it's great for them. 10 minute training sessions in the evenings are good to do.

"A good dog is a tired dog". Your dog's behavior will tell you if he's getting enough exercise/stimulation.

On rainy weekends, when our 1 yr old dog can't (doesn't want to) get out much, he's needy and restless.

On nice weekends, after a 5 mi walk in the AM, he'll sleep most of the rest of the day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a newbie to this -presently looking for a pup can I ask how much training can a 10 week old pup have and how does that amount contribute to his exercise needs?

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Your dog is always learning. Reward what you like, correct problem behaviors. Just because you don't think you are "training" doesn't mean your puppy isn't learning.

Your second question is impossible to answer. What type of training? 2 ball to teach a solid retrieve and out? Absolutely. Sitting in the front yard learning to be calm as kids ride bicycles past? Not so much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts