German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many here know I am currently dogless and living in an apartment. My yard is a 5' x 8' balcony three stories up.

As I sit and ponder between cramming for finals and pulling term papers out of my butt I had a thought.

Yesterday, through the stupidity of someone who will remain nameless, I fell down the stairs and sprained my ankle pretty badly. So I was thinking, for people who get injured and/or immoblized how do you get your dogs exercised?

I don't live close to family I'd trust to take any of my dogs out. The dog friends I think could handle it have dogs of their own to take care of and most commute into the city already. The only options I can come up for a solution in my situation if I had a dog is hiring someone to walk them which is not always possible here (waiting lists for walkers and sitters) or maybe taking them down to my club's building and letting them run in the training area that isn't used during the day. That is if I could drive. Getting home yesterday was agony as it was my right ankle and all my pain meds were at home.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Fortunately I have a large fenced yard, I honestly don't know how I would have handled the last few months if I had lived in an apartment or house without a yard!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I broke my food last June. I had a 6 month old pup and my recovery time was well over 8 weeks. I have a fenced in yard and two other dogs, so pup was basically free. It was no help in my training program, and I am still struggling to get him to see me as more exciting than the other dogs.
If I had lived in an apt where I had to walk him just to potty him it would have been a total drag. I can't imagine living in the city where this is a given. I was in Chicago for a weekend with two dogs, and taking them out to do their business was odd...they thought so too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I got in a car accident it was tough. A combination of treadmill, sitting in a chair while throwing the chuck it, and letting the dogs tire each other out our fenced in backyard was the best I could do.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I was injured when my older dog was young. That is when I switched to a metal training collar, so I could still walk her without fear of reinjury.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I sprained my ankle pretty bad not too long ago. Luckily my husband was off work that week and took over walking the dogs for me & we have enough land to walk offleash so that is what he did.

Just TWO sessions of his leashwalking the pup on road set him back and I am getting this "this is how I have always taught a dog to walk on leash" from my husband, and what he is doing is totally wrong and it totally shows in the pups suddenly poorer manners. But...perhaps that is another thread lol. He is a great man, not the greatest dog training/handling all the time....and phew! I managed to put a stop to it without damaging his ego.

It was even kind of scary for me to turn them over to him to run them offleash because he is more of a shrug-they-know-the-way-home type and I never want them out of my sight. But he didn't lose any of them and I actually saw a much increased bond between him and them when he took over some of the dog duties.

I am a control freak about my dogs if you can't tell lol. But all's well that ends well. The pup gets to go hang out with dad now and have "daddy rules" sometimes and that is their male bonding time and everybody is better for it, and I have learned to look the other way to some things he does with him because they both enjoy it and nobody is getting hurt so....he compromised on leash training my way and I compromised by not fussing at him when he takes the kid to town and feeds him junk food sometimes :)

That's what happened when I got hurt :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts