German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2 GSD's 11 months and 7 months. We walk/run with both of them at least once a day sometimes twice a day. I have started riding my bike and letting the 11 month do a slow/med trot. They seem to love it. We just don't want to damage them while they are still growing. The distances are usually about 1 mile or just over a mile. Thanks....

·
Registered
850 Posts
I didn't run alex until he was over 12 months because I am worried about it being too hard on him. He does a LOT of swimming though. I definitely wouldn't have the 7 month old running yet, and wouldn't have <u>either </u> running everyday. I would also get some supplements.
The advice I was given was to wait over a year to a year and a half before doing long distance running and jumping (ie playing disc). I think swimming is a great alternative if it is available to you.
I am sure you will get some better advice, but I would also recommend talking to a vet that is familiar with GSDs.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Running itself is NOT bad for a young dog. It is the surface they are running ON that can protentially be harmfull, as well as forced exercise like with a bike. If they are running loose on grass, that is good, if they are running on cement and/or being forced to follow a bike, that is not.

That said, wouldn't have either of them running or trotting with a bike yet. If they are running around loose and they get tired, they can laydown and rest when they need to. If they are being firced to go with a jogger or a bike and they get tired, they can't stop if they need to rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts