German Shepherds Forum banner

Exercise for the pup

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Jeepnick 
Hello Jeepnick and
on your new family member.

Puppies sleep a lot, so if yours is showing some bouts of energy during the day and then wants to take another nap-that would not be abnormal. Add to that the hot weather, and I'm not surprised that the pup wants to nap more.

As far as exercise, that sounds like a challenge for you guys in the hot weather.

How much are you working on teaching obedience commands- and tricks? Being inside during the hot times, may give you a bit of time to add more 5 minutes sessions during the day. Practice heeling in the hallway. It may be boring for you, but you want to work in one-two-three steps increments to strengthen the by you/loose leash position. Working on sits and downs? Teach "shake" hands and leave -it commands. Work on the watch me.

While I'm throwing these out there, you do not want to go too fast adding too many commands-you do want to strengthen the basic obedience commands-maybe with repeatetive sessions while you guys are stuck inside.

Curious where you and your pup are at working on basic commands. Let us know-someone may be abel to give you some next steps suggestions to up the excitement and fun as well as strengthening the effectiveness of those commands.

As far as a puppy with high energy? Be careful what you ask for!

Good Luck.

Originally Posted By: zekemorgan
Hey Everett54. Our (Jeepnick and I) dog, Anubis, knows come, sit, stay, heel, place (crate), and lay down.

The ones he knows very well are come and sit.

He will stay as long as he sees my hand motion up, but when I lower myself or I lower my hand he usually comes. I'm trying to use the command more and the hand motion less to fix this problem.

He knows Place very well and will spend time in his crate as long as we are in the room (otherwise he leaves the crate, or if its closed he will bark like crazy. Especially at night. Any solutions to this?)

Heel is a work in progress too.
Sounds like you have a great foundation to build on. BTW, Puppy = Work in Progress. Always!

Lancer is in a similar place-trying to extend the sits and downs with him at this time. I use "crate up" for going into the crate as I plan on using "place" to have him go to open mats or beds outside of the crate area.

Curious if your breeder suggested anything different than the suggestions here?

I'll go back to suggesting that you put some tricks and other fun stuff in that mix you've got going so far. Here's a link to a thread on what some members have taught their dogs:

What tricks have you taught your dog to do?

Do you use a clicker?

Here's to cooler days in your area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.