German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 month old female German shepherd "chloe" loves to play with a friend's 7 months old German shepherd female.
I take her to park to play in grass, there she runs around playing with her friend(mentioned 7 months old ) for 30-40 minutes. She gets tired and sleep for 1 hr or so when gets home.

""Is the play time too much for her?""
That's my concern
Help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,719 Posts
No it's not too much at all as long as she's not obviously distressed by being over heated.

Reactions: Bearshandler

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Do you see something that leads you to believe it’s too much? Does she limp afterwards or anything like that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you see something that leads you to believe it’s too much? Does she limp afterwards or anything like that?
No, she doesn't limp or do anything abnormal.
She gets exhausted and sleeps for hours or two after coming back home.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We let ours (also 6 months) free run/play with other friends dogs on grassy soft land for up to 45 mins/1 hour occasionally. She stops and starts when she wants to and takes lot's of little breaks to self regulate so we know she doesn't over do it when she's tired. If she starts to lay down often or takes breaks in the grass for longer, we then know she is too tired to want to play any more and we go home. Does your pup also take breaks? We don't let her do formal exercise/walks on pavement or hard surfaces for more than 30 minutes a time (5 mins per month of age), however.

I'm not a professional, and I'm sure others more experienced have good advice, but this is the advice we were given by our trainer.

Ps. Our girl also takes a good old long nap after going out, and wakes up as refreshed and happy as ever.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It is not too much for her. When puppies freely play like that unfettered, they naturally rest when tired, run when they want, etc.

What they advise is that you not walk your dogs for more than 5 minutes per month of age. So, for a 6 month old puppy, that means no more than 30 minutes of walking. But that is a walk on a leash, because in that situation, you are in control and your dog is matching your pace.

For free play, the puppy will naturally take breaks as she needs to, so it's fine and a great way to burn up that puppy energy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts