German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this moment I walk my pup (6.5months) three times a day, 45min to 1.5h each time. First around 10am, then 4pm, and last 9pm.
As my schedule will change drastically in three months, I need to change his also. I will leave three, max four, times a week from 7:30am to 6pm starting this October. My mother and/or sisters will stay with my pup during those hours, but I do not want them walking with him on the steets, so they can only play with him in our relatively small backyard.
I'm thinking about shifting his exercise and making it a bit more rigorous early in the morning (5:45ish am), to tire him out, doing a relax walk before noon (not when I'm gone, then it's a short play in the backyard), and then again a more rigorous exercise after 6pm.
Is this an ok plan?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
It's a great plan. My dogs always enjoyed their main walk in the early morning. They were full of energy and after the walk settled down. Depending on the energy level of your pup and since the walk is very early, he may not be up for a rigorous exercise session in the evening :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
I walk my dog very early in the morning about an hour 1/2. The walk is active in that he does a bit of urban agility and random basic commands.
He's 22 months old and That poops him out.

After supper, I'll play fetch with him or use the flirt pole in the yard.

Another way I tire him out is by hiding a couple of toys around the house or yard.
All that sniffing exhausts him.

If you haven't done it already, maybe start teaching him to play fetch.

Throwing the ball around is something your mum and sister can do when they watch him.

i don't think you have to over do it with the exercise.
IMO twice a day is plenty.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers and ideas! I will slowly start to get up earlier and exercise him more before his first meal.

He can play fetch, but our yard isn't big enough for him to run comfortable anymore. It was fine when he was three months old. However, it might be big enough for him to play with a large ball. I'll have to try some things out. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts