German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an obedience class at 11 a.m. on Saturdays and Tosca is full of energy. Today I decided to throw the frisbee a bit, but not exhaust her, before going to class. Is that a good idea? I thought maybe this would help her concentrate. She is still raring to go. lol.

·
Super Moderator
18,680 Posts
All you can do is experiment. This can help many dogs by taking a bit of the edge off before class giving them the ability to think. Some dogs it would take too much away from them.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I have a couple dogs I need to do this with because they are so "excited" it does help take the edge off. I have never had one that it actually hindered (unless we played too long) but I have a couple that work MUCH better after they get their speed bursts out. Like Lisa said it depends on the dog.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Gracie HAS to work off some energy before class. She is so hyper and does everything with 110% effort that she is distracted. Making her a little tired out helps a little.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tosca was great in class. We were the only ones there so I received one-on-one training. It was amazing how differently a dog reacts to different people giving commands. lol. The instructor was tough and demanding and Tosca responded well. I am a softie and not consistent. No wonder she doesn't do what I say. lol.

Sometimes I wish I had the dog first and then the kids.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts