German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Concerning, Rasa, 4 yr F GSD, that I bailed out of the Humane Soc on 11-21-08

The Dysplasia in the Vets report that I got in the adoption, the slight limp might be from lack of exercise? (of course Dysplasia still may be there, not contradicting the Vets assessment...btw no Xrays were taken). The first day last Friday she would not run, only canter, and limited run when chasing the ball. Now with daily 1 or 2+ miles of walking and running and playing ball, she runs a lot more now. I think maybe the breeders had her in a cage and not too much exercise and she is out of shape? Anyway she also recently had a litter of 3 as well as being spayed on 11-19-08. We will let time and rebonding do its job. But seems to be a lot stronger now. thanks all, I really appreciate all your comments, even though I am asking question after question.
frank

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Get an xray done. Dogs as a whole tend to not show pain too easily and any dog that loves to fetch that limits how fast they go after the ball makes me wonder what is wrong. It could well be because she was weak and atrophied from being caged but I would still do the xray, if only for peace of mind.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowHi Frank,

Several of us who have dogs with dysplasia answered your question on the other thread about dysplasia that you started: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...true#Post876242
Aloha, yes some questions were answered and I guess I should have posed more on that other thread that was started the first day I got her. The answer I need to follow through with is to get an Xray to see whats up. Right now I am relying on the Humane S vet saying she may have early signs of Dysplasia, or as I see from my untrained eye maybe just out of shape as she is no longer periodically dragging toe nails and runs a lot more, especially after a ball. My GSD in 1967 to 1976 had Dysplasia but wimpered when she got up or had to jump up, but time will tell. Either way I want to what is best for the dog. thanks for the help.

Frank

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Getting an x-ray is a good idea, yes. Be sure to get an x-ray from a vet who is either an orthopedic vet or routinely does OFA/Penn-Hip x-rays b/c otherwise you may have a problem with positioning.

Also, starting her on the supplements we mentioned in the other thread certainly will help her as will switching her over to those types of food.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aloha, all, tomorrow will be a telling day. I am going to the vet that treated her, when she was with the breeders. (found via the microchip). Hopefully they have a medical history of her and can give me some advice. Maybe even the breeders will clue me in on what training was done, if they will respond.
thanks again for your help.
Frank

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
I've not seen toe dragging/walking as a sign of displaysia - more a sign of a cruciate injury. If it is a cruciate, you will want to limit excersize until it heals. Better have your vet or an ortho vet check her out.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Please get the Xray done by a qualified person. There is no reason to forward to OFA or Penn Hip. If the vet is good he/she can give you an idea if there is a severe problem and if the dog is basically OK.

In between severe and mild, I am told the best thing for the dog would be swimming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts