German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we hit 92 degrees! i couldn't do much with Josie because i did not want her to get heat stroke.

I have tried to get her to go swimming but she doesn't want to touch the lake. I figured if she sees her buddy Dudley who's a golden retriever jumping in the lake she'd follow him. Yesterday there was a moment of hope when they both were play chasing and Dudley took a dive into the lake, you could hear the breaks in Josie by the way she tried her best to stop from jumping into the water LOL.

So how do you guys exercise your dogs in this heat?.

·
Registered
954 Posts
hahahahahaha!!!!! Poor Josie.

Looking forward to the replies here. Yesterday is was really hot here too and we took the dogs to the park and Nellie got really hot. Took me over an hour to get her cooled down.

·
2,967 Posts
Here in Florida we don't have much choice, so our dogs have to learn to play, work, etc in the heat.

You'll see that they'll slow down, and they get tired faster so you don't have to do as much. Dogs have to build up a tolerance for the heat. But I'll still spend 15-20 minutes playing ball outside or doing obedience. My dogs have always lets me know when they are done, because they will go to the shade and lay down. I also watch their tongue (if it gets very long and flared at the bottom, we need to be done) and their ears (red) to see if they are getting overheated.

Another thing we do is get up earlier. It's usually fairly cool first thing in the morning, and this is when I'll get out the bike or do the major exercise of the day.

My dogs like to play in the kiddie pool. Getting in and out and running around all together helps them to get some needed exercise.

·
Registered
235 Posts
We throw frizbees every day and Lizzie will tell us if she is tired. She gets hot really quick being a dark color. We try to stay in the shade. We also turn on the sprinkler. When she gets hot she will run through it or even lay down in the water for a minute then she is up and going again...we go early or very late in the day. Already too hot here in South Ga. and the bugs are insane!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I do the same things with my dogs when it is hot that I do with them when the weather is mild, or cold, or rainy. I just make sure that both my dogs and I have a chance to acclimatize to the weather when it gets warmer, and that I ensure they get enough water when we're out in the heat.

Acclimatizing is not a difficult process - but it is easier if you don't have or don't use air conditioning in your home, so that they can get used to the weather gradually getting warmer and temperatures being warmer inside the house as well as outside. So many dogs live in homes where the temperature year-round is 72 degrees due to the air conditioning and heating system, so it's only logical that the temperature change from inside to outside is pretty severe for them - the cold seems freezing and the heat seems scorching. If you're used to having it warmer (or colder) in your home, it's not such a big deal anymore.

I have tried out a variety of cooling products a while ago, and if anyone would like to see the results, here are the links to the various blog entries related to dealing with the heat -

Summer Safety (general information)
( Abby K-9 )

Summer Heat Study I - parameters and info
( Abby K-9 )

Summer Heat Study II - reviews of products
( Abby K-9 )

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here in Florida we don't have much choice, so our dogs have to learn to play, work, etc in the heat.
Same here in Phoenix. My late 125 lb GSD was Phoenix born and bred and just learned to deal with it. Of course, I get up at 6am and we'd go out for our exercise and he'd chill out the rest of the day until about 7:30 or 8pm when it was still 110 degrees but at least the sun wasn't beating down on him. Shade and water is critical. Got to be especially careful with those feet on the hot pavement too.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
in hot weather here, the exercise is cut back, and no water, just ice chips, cuts down on the risk of bloat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts