German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a family of five. Youngest is 7 and oldest is 15. Our puppy, Mei, is about 11 weeks old and has a pretty good relationship with all of us. Knows her name, comes when called to everyone.

Although, it's only me that Mei gets super excited when she sees me come home. Doesn't matter if it's all day at work or a quick run to the store. Even when I get her out of the crate from a nap. I'm talking about tail waggin, ears back, in your face kind of excitement.

If I'm home with her and the wife or kids come walking in, she is pretty much meh.

My question is, why is it just me? The training my wife and me do is pretty 50/50. Is it because I'm gone longer during the day than my wife? A couple times when I get home my wife would have her sit and try to calm her down while i stand back before approaching.

Any thoughts? Also, any tips on how she can be calmed down before I approach?

Thanks!

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's how you greet her the energy you allow her to have when you do. I learned that the hard way. I don't think she is to young to get it. Give her no attention ignore her until she is in the state of mind you want her to have. The more consistent you are the faster she will get herself there to get your attention. Then the easier it is to transfer those manners to other people she maybe excited to greet. Make sense?

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
What Apex said ^^^.Just pretend she doesn't exist and ignore,don't feed into the excitement.She'll learn to calm down quickly for a polite greeting.

·
4,495 Posts
Don't let her get away with naughty behavior because it is cute. Our pups grow quickly and that cute behavior becomes a pain soon. You could teach her to have a greeting spot, a mat a short way past the door. When she sits on it, she gets greeted. I had two dogs who both wanted something in their mouth when they greeted people at the door. My little mix breed always grabbed her toy bone (adorable). My GSD will grab whatever is handy, so sometimes it is a slipper, sometimes a toy. Otherwise he wants to hold our hand or arm and he is not always gentle or holding at a comfortable angle. My little gal-dog wants to run around so we let her burn off that steam in our fenced yard.

Bottom line, as Apex posted, reward the behavior you want to see and ignore or redirect behavior that is unexceptionable. See if you can figure out what you can steer your pup to that will make greetings fun for her and less of a problem for your family.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips! I've been home all day today so haven't had a chance to get excited. I'll definitely do the ignoring thing and see how that goes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts