German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm....didn't know what to call this thread ! :confused:

karma sometimes piddles a bit when she gets all excited and is called over or when I come home or greet her first thing in the morning etc. Its nothing major. Just like a 20c coin on the floor ! I never scold her or what have you and just simply clean it up.

I read about submissive peeing but she isn't scared of me and many times I can simply walk straight up to her and grab her in a bear hug and she is fine !

Why ?

ps ; she is totally house trained otherwise !

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
This is excitement peeing and it's a form of submissive peeing. Nothing you can really do about it other than making sure you don't get her too excited when she's standing on something you don't want to get wet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My dog does this all the time, I pretty much have to greet her outside every time I come back home, hopefully she'll grow out of it.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Her bladder is full and she maybe cant hold it all, so getting excited, she has her mind on you and then opps. My male does this but never my female. Now we try to get him outside first thing.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Mine went through a brief period of that from 7 - 9 months but it passed. What worked for us was trying to tone down the greeting as much as possible and of course get her outside if it has been a while since last pee.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My girl did it until she was about 10months old whenever she got really excited. It was usually when meeting someone. It didn't seem to matter if she had just relieved herself or not.

·
Registered
396 Posts
How old is Karma? Puppy or adult? Has she been on any meds, steroids, or anything that could have altered her system just a bit? Has she been spayed?

If she's an adult dog, mention it to your vet next time you take her in, it might not be submissive peeing. It's possible the muscles around her .. I want to say ureter? ... are a little weak and they can suggest a hormone to help strengthen the muscles. If that doesnt work, there's a surgical procedure they can do. You might have her checked for a urinary tract infection as well.

One of the health probs my WGSD had was she 'leaked' a bit. She had recurring UTI's, but never showed any symptoms (she didnt have to frequently urinate or anything).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Matty was a submissive pee-er until about 7 months....She pretty much stopped. I did always ignore her when getting home and made sure everyone else did as well...that also stopped a lot of the leakage...

But I will add that when she pees, if there is anything going on around her...she doesn't finish...so I always make sure she pees at least twice...Like before bed or anytime I am going to be gone for awhile...that way I know shes starting out empty....

The weird things we do for our dogs...

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's hard to ignore a dog after you come back home, it's one of the best things when you own a dog, being happily greeted no matter how hard your day have been.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah well good to know it is just a phase ! FEI - Karma is an intact 6 month old puppy and yes.. I usually give her a soft welcome to discourage any peeing and jumping.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I agree with the ignoring thing. It's really hard to do, but it worked like a charm with my 2 year old GSD brother Fritz! :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
i dunno what my pup does, but today we went for a walk.. he pee'd right before we left, and we went on about 1.5 mile walk around the neighborhood.. when we got back i took off his leash and he went upstairs, drank some water and came downstairs with me... my daughter pet him a little then he walked upstairs leaving a piddle trail all the way up the stairs... he is potty trained now and i don't know what this issue is.. he's not all that excited, he went potty a few times.. it just boggles me... and i don't punish him at all for it (not sure if i should for this situation) but he's almost 4mo and i don't know whats going through his head. He always goes to the door and does a little whine and i let him out to do his thing and he comes right back in...
any idea's?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This morning I called Karma over (as I do every morning) to put hger collar on and she squatted and did a tiny pee as i did it ! Now.....she has been outside all night so has had ample time to empty AND we do this every morning so its not like it was a surrpise or anything ! Go figure!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
They do go through a fear stage even though she's obviously not afraid of you! Stosh is 11 mos and he pees when we he sees the vets. Both vets are females and most of the staff are too, but he seems to know which ones mean business. Since you're not greeting or leaving her with any excitement, it's probably just a phase. She's still growing and maturing and her senses and instincts are developing and changing. Even though she's big she's still just a baby- your baby! By the way, your daughter is just about the cutest thing that has ever graced the face of this earth!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yay, a question I can offer advice on ;) lol anyhow... Cullen used to do this. Any time my husband came in the door, anytime guest came, and especially when he saw my father.... So we took the advice of a few friends and trainers and wrote down every single thing that excited him to that extent, and then " avoided" it. When a guest came in, they ignored him, then would walk out back with him and he would automatically potty ( as we started this EARLY, pottying on command, at the request of our SCH trainer) and then get loved on. He soon learned that these things aren't THAT exciting, the only thing now is, when guest come in that he knows, he runs for the door to get them to go play with him ;) .... now if it's someone he doesn't know.. thats a different story altogether!!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the way, your daughter is just about the cutest thing that has ever graced the face of this earth!
Aw shucks thanks. :eek:

Mind you last night we went to a dinner party and she went upstairs with Alex, her boyfriend ( he is 2.5yrs old). We then heard jubilant cries of MUMMY MUMMY DADDY DADDY from both of them and an inspection revealed they had turned the upstairs room into a winter wonderland. Talcum powder EVERYWHERE including all over their faces making them look like little ghosts ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
47 Posts
My puppy does this when she is excited. Good to hear that this is something she will probably out grow!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry old thread, but I am glad to know that my girl is not "abnormal" for doing the same thing. She only does it when we greet her after work, or she wakes up from a nap. Then she's fine. I hope she grows out of it soon!:)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Tazor pees when he meets people..problem is...he rolls over for a belly rub...and pees. Not cool..its a little fountain. I sure do hope he outgrows it because its embarrassing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts