German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the last few times I've left my puppy at home (in her crate so she doesn't get into stuff) she has become so excited to see me when I let her out that she piddles just a little bit on the floor. I've tried immediately rushing her to go outside, I've tried picking her up and carrying her...nothing seems to help.
While I am certainly appreciative that she apparently likes me so much, I do wish she'd stop showing it in such a manner. Any ideas? And for reference, she has done this with me being gone as little as two hours. And when I get her outside, she often doesn't even have to pee that bad (doesn't pee much outside). She is 14ish weeks old and also does not have this problem when she spends the night in her crate (sometimes as long as 6 hours accident free!)

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I think they call this subsmissive peeing. I always looked at it like you do, they have a full bladder and just get excited and wee alittle.

Cruz does this with certian people but it's not always someone in dominant role in his life. He's just excited to see them.

How can you fix it? I don't know. I was told by our obedience instructor that Cruz will outgrow this. As for what I would try? I would try not letting her out of the crate right away. I would just mill around a few minutes or how ever long it takes her to calm down alittle then try to get her outside. No expert here, it's just what I would try.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I'd try to keep the crate as close to the door as possible and then while releasing her from it, be as indifferent about the whole coming home thing as possible. Then when she pees outside, praise. Zoey used to leak with the excitement of our return, but she was never crate trained. With her, we entered the home calmly and headed straight to the back door. This worked most of the time and Zoey did outgrow it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts