German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bellamy is more vocal than any shepherd I've ever met. His high-pitched yips are adorable, but not when I just came home, or want to give him affection (a lot of affection and praise makes him yippy), and the worst is when we're training. I'm trying to train new things without getting a headache, but he won't. stop. barking and whining. Like right now I just stopped a session of training "weave" between my legs to sit down and write this. He's really good at it, learned it very quickly and he enjoys training, but he keeps yipping every time I give the cue and also when I praise him.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
If you don’t get many responses try searching this site/forum for threads discussing impulse control and capping. Use the forum search button at the top center of the page.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Enquiring minds just want to know where the armpit of the US is. :)

Reactions: Malibu

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Perhaps no praising if he's yipping.

It's pretty tough to help because we have no idea whats really going on. Do you have a very intelligent dog that wants to talk to you. Do you have an over excitable dog that needs to learn how to calm down. Do you have a winning/yippy dog because she's in pain.. Do you have an excited dog that just want's to please you.

Each of these have different corrections or training to correct.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps no praising if he's yipping.

It's pretty tough to help because we have no idea whats really going on. Do you have a very intelligent dog that wants to talk to you. Do you have an over excitable dog that needs to learn how to calm down. Do you have a winning/yippy dog because she's in pain.. Do you have an excited dog that just want's to please you.

Each of these have different corrections or training to correct.
How would I go about that though? If I'm teaching him a new trick and he gets it right but he's yipping I can't let him know that what he did is correct.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
My GSD only does the irritating whinning and barking when I head to go outside and I just have to demand she stops. That when I say enough or all done it has to stop or nothing will happen if it doesn't.
Does your dog speak on command?

Does your dog want to please you and does she want a treat. she does not get praise or a treat until she calms down. NOTHING happens until she calms down. Maybe you need to run her/ exhaust her before training .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts