German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of your Shepherds whine...ALOT? Jackson is a champion whiner. Especially when he knows I am getting ready to let him outside or go somewhere in the car etc...For example, if it is time to let him out in the yard to go potty, as soon as I start walking towards the door he starts whining & jumping around. I tell him to sit, which he does, and he whines. Then I open the door & he has to wait. Whine, whine, whine. When I tell him it is o.k. to go out he lets loose with a high pitched squeal that really hurts the ears! He only does this for me, not my husband, so obvioulsy it is me that is the problem. He does this same thing if we are going for a ride in the car. Once we are out in the garage he barks non-stop until he is in the car. I know he is excited about going out, but I can't stand this! Any advice on what I need to do to stop this behavior?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
They can be talkers! Life is just so exciting!

I know the calmer I am, the calmer my pups can be. So that helps (sometimes).

Exercise helps alot too.

But my louder dogs are my louder dogs (sigh).

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Ah, the whining. The best you can to, in addition to what MRL said, is to wait until the whining/barking stops (even if just for a split second) before letting them have whatever they want so badly. It hasn't eliminated it yet in our house, but it has improved.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Like others have said, GSD are talkers. Which can mean whiners. Think about this. He wants your attention and affection really, really bad. When he whines, you give it to him. So he will whine more and more.

If you ignore him when he whines and then lavish him with attention frequently when he doesn't, it'll help.

I did this with Gretel and it help a lot. The funny thing is, as soon as she didn't whine and I would hug her and give her affection, she would whine and cry while I hugged her.

Sometimes you can't win for loosing. But she sure is a sweetie.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts