German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought Magnus home from the shelter last Tuesday.

The vet thinks he's about 2 years old, and guesses that he probably lived most of his life on a chain in someone's yard. Despite all of this, he seems a very good-natured dog and is picking things up faster than I would have expected (he's already walking on a leash pretty well, is learning "sit" and seems to be adjusting to the crate).

When I first brought him home, he was very aggressive with the humping (my other dog, storage boxes, the ottoman), but after being firmly told off by me and Sully several times, he has stopped that (hasn't done it at all in days).

So he IS learning and seems eager to please.

The problem I'm having, though, is that I don't know what to do about marking. Whenever we go outside, he marks EVERYTHING. I'm afraid to discipline him for it because I don't want to throw off his potty training (he's been a very quick study with that so far!)

I'd love some advice for how to limit the marking without discouraging urinating outside.

TL;DR: Need to stop adult male dog from marking without interfering with potty training.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Mine is a frequent marker too!

He marks more in "new" neighborhoods, so Magnus may calm down with the marking once the neigborhoods become [saturated with his pee] I mean, familiar. I was letting mine mark because for the first few days, he marked in our house. I hoped he could get it out of his system if he did it on walks!

I do have some marking "rules" - no marking on people's beautiful flower beds, no marking on or near mailboxes (because people have to walk there daily). I just gently pull him away as I see him about to lift his leg - he seems OK with it. Now that we have really familiar {boring} walking loops, he marks only occasionally and often it will be just a few drops - just "freshening up" a bit, I think.

Marking is some form of dog communication so it seems mean to ban it entirely.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
You just got the dog, and he's still adjusting to his new environment, so I'd say let him be as long as he's doing it outside. I mean, what does it hurt? After he's been with you awhile and you start working with him more on obedience, there's nothing wrong with teaching the dog when to focus on the job at hand, meaning no marking while working. But that comes later...

Cute puppy!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I adopted a 3 year old male from a very similar situation. He got turned out in the yard before our walks, and was expected to empty his bladder. He'd been an outdoor dog, so was not housebroken.

IIRC, he made a total of two mistakes in the house before he was fully housebroken. However, he WOULD mark on the counter at the vet's office, and also marked in a friend's house (she had a male dog).

Once I had him neutered, the marking at the vet's stopped.

The only time I let him mark on walks was when I said he could. (We'd stop for a bit of a rest and I'd let him sniff around and do whatever he wanted to.)

Controlling the marking is NOT going to affect the housebreaking. They are two separate things.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Beau is similar to Magnus, except he never marked in the house. All over the yard, but not in the house. I use Leave It if he’s getting ready to mark something that’s off limits, and he complies. It works for us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts