German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me. My German shepherd girl is 8 years old and has always had skin problems since a pup. She is allergenic to wheat and maize, which we discovered from an early age. Her skin condition has always been completely curable by just feeding her a hypoallergenic good quality dog feed, such as Royal Canin.

Then suddenly a few years ago after she had to have an emergency spay due to a pyometra. She began to excessively shed everyday and it has never stopped nor showed any signs of slowing down. She doesn't have any bald patches and looks/acts healthy. This isn't a normal German shepherd shedding or a normal coat blow out. This is everyday nonstop shedding to the point where the floor is covered in her hair after just 1 hour.

We have to groom her a lot but nothing seems to help. We also give her fish oils and feed her a complete hypoallergenic dog food. We have tried switching to several different brands over the years but again nothing seems to help her. And since she was fine before being spayed, I believe her excessive shedding is due to being spayed and not a diet problem.

I have taken her to the vets several times about this issue but they refuse to offer much help because she appears healthy apart from the constant shedding.

I'm wondering whether anyone can offer any advise or a reason for why this has happened to her? It is becoming a very stressful situation as the shedding is nonstop and definitely abnormal for her. It's difficult to manage and no amount of grooming helps.

We have also tried to feed her a fresh plain diet of chicken and rice (all organic) and again this doesn't help her.

Any advise appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
866 Posts
Maybe get a 2nd and/or 3rd opinion. I have yet to find a vet (and there are a lot around me) that knows everything. Is there a pet dermatologist around you? Btw, I know a lot of people in here will tell you Royal Canin is not a good quality food. Also, Royal Canin uses chicken and you're also feeding organic chicken too. Could it be a chicken allergy? A lot of dogs are allergic to chicken.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am running into a similar problem- had to spay my long coat female about a year ago due to pyo and now her coat is super long (longer than ever before) and thick, and kind of greasy. She never had this problem before.

Since you've tried food switch and supplements- perhaps get her tested to make sure her Thyroid levels are normal? Low thyroid is fairly common and pretty easy to treat and can cause excessive hair loss.

·
Registered
11,422 Posts
I wonder if you try the hormones they give spayed females to prevent and cure incontinence will help. Deja (intact though) gets a mixture of coconut oil, turmeric, msm, bovine colostrum, a mushroom powder, vit. C daily. Her coat is absolutely gorgeous. Maybe worth a try.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
Hormones. I had a female lose her hair in clumps and it was due to hormones. Think about females taht blow coat while in heat. Same thing.

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts
Yes, hormones. I got Carly spayed when she was 6, and her coat has changed. She does shed more, and her coat is thicker than it ever was. I swear it’s like living with a bear, lol. Where was all this coat when she was in the show ring?!

Reactions: Sabis mom
1 - 6 of 6 Posts