German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 8 month old puppy is great when training at home. When we take him to his obedience class he barks and does a high pitched cry throughout the training. It's so loud its hard to hear the instructor! He's very obedient with all his commands in the class, but "talks" the whole time. It seems to be over excitement and he doesn't respond to the quiet command in that environment (he responds to "quiet" at home).

He is a workingline...not sure if this plays a role. Just wondering if others have experienced this and if it goes away as they age. Any strategies to quiet him?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27,305 Posts
can you let him carry a ball or tug as a pacifier? That works when they are leaking!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
can you let him carry a ball or tug as a pacifier? That works when they are leaking!
I'm still trying to figure out how to train this behavior when the dog isn't naturally inclined to carry things.

·
Registered
27,305 Posts
Wear him out before class. Play alot of fetch(don't do obedience) and keep his body busy for an hour before he has to go into that structured environment. I kind of like a dog that has energy, as long as they channel it. Which he will with maturity!
Paula, if you play tug and posssess the toy while the dog still wants more, they may be more inclined to carry it(possess), using a high value toy the dog only gets at training.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Our 8 month old puppy is great when training at home. When we take him to his obedience class he barks and does a high pitched cry throughout the training. It's so loud its hard to hear the instructor! He's very obedient with all his commands in the class, but "talks" the whole time. It seems to be over excitement and he doesn't respond to the quiet command in that environment (he responds to "quiet" at home).

He is a workingline...not sure if this plays a role. Just wondering if others have experienced this and if it goes away as they age. Any strategies to quiet him?

Thanks!
Wolfie does this too, but only until the training starts then he's quiet and does his work. He's also workingline and 9 months old. I am curious to see someof the solutions here.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Also start practicing your 'homework' out and about town. Bring treats for rewards. But have it in other exciting places. I love to use the entrances and exits at Home Depot! Tons of training with tons of distractions PLUS you can 'use' everyone for socialization!

Only go as close as you can succeed though when you are training. For the socialization you can get as close as people want to pet and feed treats to your pup!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Great post. Mine is 6 months old and I have been SHOCKED when he does this in class-exact samething you described. He listens to all the commands and does them-but when he's not doing "something"-he starts to carry on. He will settle-but it's a disruption for the whole class.

I have to keep him focused on me during those times and there have been plenty of times where I have not heard the instructor.

I also found he does MUCH better if we get to class early and we walk the perimeter of the room a couple times. I also took advantage of football practices going on right now after school. We are in a distant field alone-but all the running and screming is a huge distraction for him and we do our homework there.

BUT-even with that he still sometimes has those nights where he carries on!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm glad to see he is not the only one! Tonight he was much better, I brought a ball for him, but I really didn't need to use it. I used the ball once when we first arrived to settle him. He was the quietest he's been in a while during the class and even responded to the quiet command. Thanks for all the good ideas- I'm bringing the ball just in case from now on! Also, I like the idea about practicing near the sports field and in other areas...we will have to do that more often.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Brought Abby at 4 months and for 8 out of 10 classes she was a star but towards the end she just lost it, totally useless, very stubborn. I found that she did better in a more casual environment. Within a couple months she was mature enough to handle training. But, like many people, we got lazy and let it drop. Now she's just a happy dog that minds well and knows a couple of command. Stress the happy and minds well.

·
Registered
27,305 Posts
I'm glad to see he is not the only one! Tonight he was much better, I brought a ball for him, but I really didn't need to use it. I used the ball once when we first arrived to settle him. He was the quietest he's been in a while during the class and even responded to the quiet command. Thanks for all the good ideas- I'm bringing the ball just in case from now on! Also, I like the idea about practicing near the sports field and in other areas...we will have to do that more often.
That sounds like a great update! Now that he's been there a couple times, he sees that it isn't "playtime", but staying engaged will be a challenge.
GSD's are soo smart!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts