German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our dog storm is almost 4, she woke up a few days ago and started drinking a lot of water throughout the day, and asking to go out to pee a lot, even waking us up through the night to go pee (which she never needs to do) again the next day/night... so we took her to the vet, he did a urine test, results, very diluted urine (low urine specific gravity of 1.005) and then urine culture came back with no bacteria found!... next step bloodwork tomorrow.. vet suggested that diabetes insipidus may be a concern... although apparently rare. Anyone else have a dog diagnosed with this and how is your dog doing?.. I know she has not been officially diagnosed with this but would like to know is anyone is dealing with this diagnosis to get an idea.. thanks so much

·
Registered
123 Posts
When Pepper started drinking/peeing it turned out to be diabetes. Your vet should have checked for sugar in the urine. If the glucose level gets over 225-250 it starts being passed out through urine. The diabetes is pretty simple to manage, insulin injection with meals, I weigh each meal, same time each day 6am-6pm. We use Freestyle Libra to monitor glucose. If its diabetes your dog will develop cataracts, its stated 80% chance, I think its higher. Diabetic cataracts happen quickly, she went from seeing to blind in 2 weeks about 6 months after being diagnosed. She has had the surgery for cataracts and sees almost as well as before.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Our senior dog had the same symptoms last year. Testing for glucose is easy and is logically the next step. Cushing's is a possibility and that turned out to be our guy's problem. The test for Cushing's is more expensive and more complicated so rule out diabetes first.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
It could be Cushings but she would also have an increased appetite. My dog who had it started tipping over the kitchen trash can to scrounge for food and pulled food off the counters. She ate until she got sick but didn’t gain weight. Did they test kidney function? She is a little young for either Cushings or kidney disease.

Is she still drinking a lot? Has she exercise a lot or panted heavily or even skipped dining for a few hours? That can make them very thirsty too, but it’s temporary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be Cushings but she would also have an increased appetite. My dog who had it started tipping over the kitchen trash can to scrounge for food and pulled food off the counters. She ate until she got sick but didn’t gain weight. Did they test kidney function? She is a little young for either Cushings or kidney disease.

Is she still drinking a lot? Has she exercise a lot or panted heavily or even skipped dining for a few hours? That can make them very thirsty too, but it’s temporary.
It could be Cushings but she would also have an increased appetite. My dog who had it started tipping over the kitchen trash can to scrounge for food and pulled food off the counters. She ate until she got sick but didn’t gain weight. Did they test kidney function? She is a little young for either Cushings or kidney
What about Cushings Disease? That has the symptoms.
still waiting on bloodwork

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our senior dog had the same symptoms last year. Testing for glucose is easy and is logically the next step. Cushing's is a possibility and that turned out to be our guy's problem. The test for Cushing's is more expensive and more complicated so rule out diabetes first.
Vet said could be diabetes insipidus.. still waiting on bloodwork I should hear tomorrow

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

She actually seems to be drinking more normal, and not asking to go out to pee as much!, had bloodwork done Saturday so the vet said should have results Monday afternoon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When Pepper started drinking/peeing it turned out to be diabetes. Your vet should have checked for sugar in the urine. If the glucose level gets over 225-250 it starts being passed out through urine. The diabetes is pretty simple to manage, insulin injection with meals, I weigh each meal, same time each day 6am-6pm. We use Freestyle Libra to monitor glucose. If its diabetes your dog will develop cataracts, its stated 80% chance, I think its higher. Diabetic cataracts happen quickly, she went from seeing to blind in 2 weeks about 6 months after being diagnosed. She has had the surgery for cataracts and sees almost as well as before.
Urine was clear, no bacteria even, w siting on bloodwork now

1 - 10 of 10 Posts