German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14.5 year old shepherd/chow mix has recently been drinking water way more excessively than he has in the past, while eating less kibble and no other diet changes. He also licks one of his back paws throughout the day and night and was given anxiety medicine that did nothing.

Due to the excessive drinking and age he has incontinence (previously never made one accident ever in the house). Just started him on Proin which has helped.

The vet ran bloodwork, thyroid, urine tests and all came back fine. But now hes waking me up at 4 or 5 in the morning to be let out or for more water.

Any ideas of what I can do?

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
Excessive drinking was a sign of hemangio in my dog's case. Did you run the full blood panel to see the white/red cell count too?

The other case is kidney failure. Did they run the test for kidney function above and beyond the normal chem10 or chem17?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excessive drinking was a sign of hemangio in my dog's case. Did you run the full blood panel to see the white/red cell count too?

The other case is kidney failure. Did they run the test for kidney function above and beyond the normal chem10 or chem17?
Yes they ran the full panel for white and red and said the levels looked good. Same with kidney function.

I was going to switch to wet food full time but I read that 2 cans a day of wet food is no where near the nutrition required and far less than 2 cups of kibble. Hes 62lb.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
I have no idea what you could have read to imply that. As long as you are feeding the recommended daily amount for the dog, which could vary per brand, it will be fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think your dog may be in pain. Many dogs will begin licking their paws, etc., a lot more to soothe themselves from pain. Also, dogs may drink a lot more and eat less too.

Is your dog sleeping any more than usual?

I would ask the vet to place your dog on pain medication AND anti-inflammatories for a week and see if the symptoms dissipate. I'm confident they will. If your dog is already on both, it may be time to ask the vet if it would be a good idea to increase the dosage.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Maybe it's just a sign of getting old at 14.5 years and the end (no offense) coming nearer. Just like Jax said, excessive drinking and incontinence among other things (such as vomiting, etc.) were signs that my dog had hemangio. But you've done all the tests, and everything came back ok. What was the vet's diagnosis?

My friend's lab mix was also around the same age as yours when it developed incontinence and excessive drinking. It was just old and "hanging" on.

·
Super Moderator
9,218 Posts
Another angle to explore, as my near 13yr old also has pretty decent bloodwork results and has begun tanking on water, is simply confusion. He’s had a couple vestibular episodes that affect his balance and coordination. In addition to excessive drinking, he has also become louder and a bit sloppier than before. (his drinking was so quiet and delicate in the past that observers have commented). It appears that he’s no longer in tune with what satiates him and instead will just obsessively drink whatever is in the bowl. This too has lead to some incontinence. I now have him on a water schedule... I give him 1 cup 3x a day during the week, none overnight, free/monitored access on weekends and I will periodically perform a catch to make sure his urine hasn’t become too dark/concentrated. Since doing this, I think we’ve been accident free for over 2 weeks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think your dog may be in pain. Many dogs will begin licking their paws, etc., a lot more to soothe themselves from pain. Also, dogs may drink a lot more and eat less too.

Is your dog sleeping any more than usual?

I would ask the vet to place your dog on pain medication AND anti-inflammatories for a week and see if the symptoms dissipate. I'm confident they will. If your dog is already on both, it may be time to ask the vet if it would be a good idea to increase the dosage.
Thanks for your thoughts. He is not sleeping any more than usual. He is not on pain or anti-inflammatories. He was prescribed rimadyl but online theres lots of horror stories with it so I didnt give it to him yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe it's just a sign of getting old at 14.5 years and the end (no offense) coming nearer. Just like Jax said, excessive drinking and incontinence among other things (such as vomiting, etc.) were signs that my dog had hemangio. But you've done all the tests, and everything came back ok. What was the vet's diagnosis?

My friend's lab mix was also around the same age as yours when it developed incontinence and excessive drinking. It was just old and "hanging" on.
No diagnosis yet as everything read okay. I have noticed that my dog is now nearly deaf. He is old and does vomit every once in a while mostly after drinking too much water.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just please keep in mind that dogs do an excellent job of hiding their pain and all three of the symptoms you described are consistent with a dog being in pain. Just because your dog isn't limping, etc., it doesn't mean your dog is not in pain. Given that your vet prescribed him Rimadyl (an anti-inflammatory), your vet thinks he's in pain too.

Again, all three symptoms you listed (not eating much, drinking a lot, & licking paws) are ALL symptoms of pain.

There are going to be horror stories for all medications....it's the internet. If you are not comfortable giving your dog Rimadyl for a week, then request a different medication. I would stop overthinking it and focus on easing your dog's pain.

Your paralysis due to over-analysis is likely causing your dog to suffer.

·
Registered
27,321 Posts
My female Kacie had hemangio and all bloodwork was normal. Xray showed shadowing on her spleen area and was confirmed during surgery. I chose to let her go as it was spread to other organs.
The only symptom she showed was lack of appetite which started a couple of weeks before we did the xray(bloodwork was run more than once).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: My dog is in good spirits but unfortunately continously drinking and urinating that we have to keep him in diapers and it's very hard to manage especially due to urine burn. The proin prescribed has done nothing. As states before all bloodwork, thyroid, and urine tests came back fine. Confirmed it's not water diabetes.

Brought him back to the vet, next step is to test for cushings disease, hopefully that's the issue as it can be managed with medicine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts