German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 yr old male.hes a barker.he and next door dachunds have a barkfest 3 or more x a day
We keep bringing him in,but now wonder if we should let them bsrk it out.any thoughts?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I would not let my dog bark it out. It annoys ALL the neighbors. I usually never let my dog outside without me. Of course, he doesn’t like to be outside without me so it works well...lol. Because of that, he never developed the habit. There could be dogs barking on the other side of the fence and my dog ignores it. If he did bark, I would be able to correct him in the moment.

If I wanted to stop the behavior, I would go out with my dog every time. I would let him know it wasn’t acceptable, and correct if necessary.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Going through something similar except my male likes to bark territorially. I usually try to be around to quickly tell him to stop and he gets one chance to stop and if he barks again I’ve been making him go to his crate till I say he can come out. I find if I yell at home to stop it encourages him more.

when I’m out with him on the patio, I try to Block his view and Tell Him quiet and if he doesn’t then crate.

sometimes he lets out a view more barks on the way to the crate and I ignore him.

ive been trying to be consistent as possible and he’s gotten a little better.. I’m assuming its gonna be a long haul and never Was an issue until we moved

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 6 month old has started return barking to an unseen dog across and down the ravine. This other dog had started barking fairly consistently through the week but not constantly so I assume just when they let it out.

I'm always out when my pup is so it's easy to shut down now; he gets a bark or two back to say what he has to say and that's it. Always MUCH easier to shut down undesired behavior then when you've let it become a habit/acceptable.

My almost 6 year old never returns fire unless someone's on the property, just the way I like it

·
Super Moderator
32,230 Posts
I changed your thread title from behavior to excessive barking. Vague titles sometimes don't get as many responses as more specific ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts