German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shepherd is a spayed female, nearly four years old. She's always had occasional health issues, nothing out of the ordinary. But some recent developments defy anything I've experienced with her before. It started with her appetite. She's always been an extremely picky eater, but a few days ago, out of nowhere, she started asking for kibble frequently. She knocks on my door and brings me to the pantry several times a day. I was excited at first, as I thought we could fatten her up for once, but after feeding her two bowl-fulls, she still asks for more. It doesn't appear as if she will stop eating voluntarily, even stealing human food that she previously hated. I've afraid to feed her more, although she acts starved.

Over the weekend, more symptoms appeared, some more alarming. She's started aggressively biting her lower back so that it's very purple, bruise-like, and scabbed in places. She's also losing her fur in tufts, although she only just went through shedding her coat, and this time it's coming out in patches. I'm not sure if it's falling out or if she's ripping it all out, which I have seen her do to her lower back. The most alarming symptom started Saturday night, when she started peeing blood. Not pinkish urine, but very dark red stuff. I got closer to look at it and it has a very strong, bloody odor. But she acted completely natural. I've seen her in pain during urination, when she had a UTI, but she wasn't even straining this time. A day and a half later and she's still peeing blood.

So, to summarize:
- Insatiable appetite (no recent weight loss)
- Either pain and bruising or a strange, itchy rash on her lower back
- Excessive shedding in patches
- Urinating what seems to be mostly blood

I've researched these symptoms on my own, but I haven't come up with any good answers. Her behavior isn't unusual outside of these changes. She's been less active than usual because of the rainy season starting, but she's happy to play inside. Over the weekend, my sister and I made an Easter-egg hunt for her with apple slices, and she's been enthusiastically chasing bubbles around the living room. I don't know what to make of it, but I'm worried. I hoped someone here would recognize the strange combination of symptoms.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yikes, this would be an instant trip to the emergency vet. Peeing pure blood is a very serious sign, and also means she could quickly go anemic or loose too much blood. Could be pyometra, possibly, which is deadly. You really need to see a vet.

·
Registered
10,483 Posts
Out of the blue, one of my dogs peed blood one morning and died of a kidney tumor two weeks later (he was too old for surgery)

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
The increase in appetite is because she is trying to make up for the massive blood loss. This is truly an emergency.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would also guess kidney. Chewing at her back I would think she is trying to get to the pain that she is feeling.

Hope you didn't wait any longer and get her seen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts