German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I recently got a GSD, she is 2 years old and very loving straight away her ex-owner told me she suffered a great deal of abuse but she is not aggressive he got her from one of his mates who abused her... :mad:
Anyway I went for a walk with her and randomly she ran up to a man and lunged at him barking, he was in a great deal of shock and not happy as you can imagine, so I got her a muzzle.
Every time we go out she will bark at the slightest noise and try lunging for people anyone!
We don't baby her because of this she isn't aloud on sofa and bed any more...
She is fine when people come into the house but outside she is a nightmare!
It's an anxiety attack I feel literally...
I rang the guy who I got her from wanting to know more about this behaviour and he claims it's completely new to him she never did that before?
I feel I can't take her on a walk cos I can't manage her and it upsets me, cos she's 2 and has been from pillar to post I need advice and quick, she spooks people constantly and it's a shame on her, she's only protecting me and her...
She always follows me around the house, won't leave my side and wants constant love from anyone in the house (completely different dog in her home) She isn't at all protective with food, toys etc... with anyone!
Please help me and Roxanne am i doing something wrong? What needs to be done? Thank You for taking time to read this x x x x

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
My best advice is find a real good trainer to help you with the walks.

·
5,627 Posts
NILIF Nothing in Life is Free

Honestly, you need a really good behaviorist to help you with this.

If she was abused by a man, it is not that suprising that she is lashing out at strangers.

We can give you a few things to help manage for now but most of us are not professional trainers and can't really assess the situation without seeing it.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Bless you for taking this on and the good new is she can be fixed!

The 'bad' news is that it's probably going to take more than you can naturally do on your own. Cause it sounds like she's having fear issues with new people and those are a challenge to work out on our own (unless we've had alot of experience with fearful dogs).

Getting her happy and confident, trusting YOU is a huge step. So tons of exercise and fun stuff is necessary. Can you take her to the woods or fields where she can run and have fun with you?

Finding a good behaviorist is a start. Have you read/heard of Jan Fennell? She's from your neck of the woods (if Lancaster is from the UK) . I loved her book The Dog Listener and their are definitely tips in there that will help.

Go to this site and click around for help dog behaviour, dog obedience, dog trainers, puppy training, dog rescue assistance, canine behaviour, canine obedience by Jan Fennell the Dog Listener Amichien Bonding

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Definitely take the advice above and get a good trainer/behaviorist!

I adopted Nadia when she was 16 months old and she was not very with people. Especially people walking away from her-she would dash at the them, trying to grab the calf of their legs. I have had her for and year and a half now and while she is much better, there is only one person who can come into my house when she is out of her crate or held back. A lot of people are still very nervous around her (they lack confidence) I have worked hard with her to socialize and train. We do all kind of things fun to build her confidence. I have people come over as often as possible. She is still a work in progress and probably always will be, but she has come a Long way since coming to live with me in June '09. Jean knows how much Nadia and I have gone thru together. Just to show you that it can be done with time and a real commitment...

This is after having her for a year & was not possible when I first got her

Despite there being little to no room on the couch, she just HAD to be on the couch with my Grandson

When she first met my DIL, she nipped at her and left a bruise but a year later....

The younger the kids that more uncertain she is but my younger Grandson got this

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I am no expert but have found when aggression for reasons of fear, which yours sounds like, I like to go to a public place, park, but find a bench on the outskirts so she can see, hear, etc but is far enough away to not be afraid, I would then sit and read a book. Do this day after day, in different locations, eventually moving closer to people. Sometimes just the fact of the owner being totally relaxed, and no actual people near by, can relax the dog thereby halting some of the behavior. I also when my dog acts aggressive I swivel my body directly in front of my dog, I hold the collar and insist on getting their attention on me, and I will continue walking into them until they are acknowledging me.

Proffessional help can help but some easy step to take while searching. And remember she is also not sure you can protect her, so make sure she knows you can and that you control all situations, when she trusts you more she may relax then too, good luck, don't give up on her, it sounds like she has had too many give up on her. Poor baby

1 - 6 of 6 Posts