German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I literally JUST came home from a christmas party... and before i walked into the dining room i knew.... SOMEONE pooped. its a terrible smell in my bedroom now. I peek in and there i see ruby, ears back... she knew someone did something wrong. Max had **** all in his kennel, runny poop, and when i got coser, i saw ruby had a tiny bit as well... but max's... WOW. It somehow got onto my carpet as well!!!! Idk , its day 3 on raw feeding.... Am i doing something wrong? I went to leerburg.com and went off of what it says to start with, i kept about a cup of kibble, approx 8oz of hamburger meat and a chicken wing or 2. Tonight i did some veggies, bt they have had that before... :/ Please, inform me! Did i do something wrong?

Ok now to drag max and the kennel to the front yard to hose them both off! UGH! :cry:

EDIT: And max is throwing up his food.
I forgot ... i put a whole egg in tonight in each's bowl. Is it too soon? bah...

EDIT #2: So... might not be poop? Smells like it... but all i see in max's kennel is 2 large piles of... i think throw up?
Ruby's still is poop.... im sure.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Ouch, that sucks! I never had any of those issues, except when they got toooo omuch bloody deer and not enough bone!!! My don't have guts of steel!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL I have no advice, but it sounds like an all around crappy night to say the least;)
YES. haha Im already a lil hot from drinking wine at the company christmas party, was looking forward to getting into my pj's letting the dogs out and then cuddling with them....

Just got done cleaning the kennels... and now imma have to bathe my stinky babies! and they arent gonna be able to cuddle me tonight cause i dont want wet sheets! lol

:[

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ouch, that sucks! I never had any of those issues, except when they got toooo omuch bloody deer and not enough bone!!! My don't have guts of steel!
Yeah... im sure its not that! They had chicken leg quarters (more meat and bone) the night before... tonight i added celery (semi pureed) and a whole egg to the 2 chicken wings.
Idk if the egg/celery preed were added too soon.... cause before i would just use the steamfresh veggies....:confused:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you feed 1 cup of kibble, 8 oz of hamburger meat and the chicken wings and veggies all in one meal?
Im sorry, i didn't explain anywhere near enough! i had 50 billion things going through my head as i was typing...

Morning meal went as follows:
1/2 cup of kibble
8oz of hamburger meat
1 chicken wing

late afternoon meal:
1/2 cup of kibble
1/2 cup of Celery (close to puree)
2 small chicken wings
1 egg

Is this too much? I wasnt sure when to start adding the egg... and the chicken wings were on the smaller scale... b/w small and medium so i thought id add one more for the evening meal.

This was a mistake huh. :(

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
8 oz of ground hamburger meat at once seems like way too much, especially combined with the kibble. Rafi eats ground raw (with bones and veggies and everything combined) and he gets one cup per meal.

What is the half cup of celery for? That is A LOT of celery. I would start with something easy and beneficial to digest, like pumpkin.

Also, chicken wings are really bony. I think most people start with chicken leg quarters because they provide a good ratio of bone and meat.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8 oz of ground hamburger meat at once seems like way too much, especially combined with the kibble. Rafi eats ground raw (with bones and veggies and everything combined) and he gets one cup per meal.

What is the half cup of celery for? That is A LOT of celery. I would start with something easy and beneficial to digest, like pumpkin.

Also, chicken wings are really bony. I think most people start with chicken leg quarters because they provide a good ratio of bone and meat.
Maybe i read the leerburg site wrong. :eek:
I feel like such a re-re! :(
Yesterday i did the chicken leg quarters.... Which btw... those things are pretty large! but yeah more meat like i said perviously... so i get it.
i hear alot of people just give the chicken leg quarters and what not once a day... once every other day.. etc... and mainly just hamburger meat?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I would drop the hamburger altogether and just start out with a single protein. I'd bet some money that the hamburger is what upset their tummies.

The celery is mostly water with a little fiber and wouldn't be my vegetable of choice ever but when you're starting out I would just stick with chicken and something firming like plain, canned pumpkin. You can take the skin of the chicken initially to make it less fatty (and easier to digest).

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
When that happened to me, I remember scrubbing every surface in the room thinking "one day this will be funny"... Well today's that day! :)) sorry)
Sounds like they're not reacting well to the switch. I've heard people slowly blending each raw ingredient into their dog's diet one by one to get their system used to digesting unprocessed foods. For us, just feeding raw patties on an empty stomach worked. Then when they can digest bones and veggies, you can feed pretty much anything.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
It is probably the food change and maybe the amount.

Be glad it was mostly in the crate! I have a female who WILL NOT mess in her crate. She always backs up to the door and shoots it out onto the floor if she is having a diarrhea issue! Now that is a sight!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ooooh its funny, trying things to see what works best for YOUR dog lol For one lady its just leg quarters, no hamburger meat, for someone else's its just hamburger meat!

AHHHHH! lol trial and error Nicole... Its worth it.... lol

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is probably the food change and maybe the amount.

Be glad it was mostly in the crate! I have a female who WILL NOT mess in her crate. She always backs up to the door and shoots it out onto the floor if she is having a diarrhea issue! Now that is a sight!
LOL:wild:

wow, i know that's not funny to you im sure... but a sight to see lol

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
If you MUST feed kibble do it at a separate meal. You are feeding too much variety for just starting which is probably why you are getting the diarrhea. Celery has little nutritional value and, as someone else pointed out, is mostly water. I would maybe add some canned pumpkin, which can help stabilize the digestive system, and a Tbs or so of organic yogurt as a natural probiotic.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you MUST feed kibble do it at a separate meal. You are feeding too much variety for just starting which is probably why you are getting the diarrhea. Celery has little nutritional value and, as someone else pointed out, is mostly water. I would maybe add some canned pumpkin, which can help stabilize the digestive system, and a Tbs or so of organic yogurt as a natural probiotic.
Plain yogurt i presume? Im about to get ready and head to walmart... so ill pick the pumkin and yogurt up when i go there! :]

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Honestly, if you want to add a probiotic I would go ahead and get actual probiotic capsules. There is very little benefit to adding a small amount of yoghurt to food. You have to eat quite a bit of yoghurt to get the benefit of the probiotics and even then it's only beneficial when the yoghurt has live active cultures.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honestly, if you want to add a probiotic I would go ahead and get actual probiotic capsules. There is very little benefit to adding a small amount of yoghurt to food. You have to eat quite a bit of yoghurt to get the benefit of the probiotics and even then it's only beneficial when the yoghurt has live active cultures.
Where is a good place to buy those at?? Online? An actual store?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What would be a good example of a days worth of meals with them? one meal consisting of 1lb chicken leg quarter (remove skin/fat?) how much pumpkin?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts