German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completely stupid and inconsiderate! I took my kids to the park yesterday, and we brought Bentley along as well since it's a great place to see lots of different people and things. There is a huge playground at this park and the girls love it. All was going well, until this other couple arrived with their little girl who appeared to be around 18 mos or so. First, I received some really bad news yesterday...so I wasn't really in the mood to carry on meaningless conversation with other people. This guy would NOT stop talking to me. In an effort not to be rude, I nodded and replied as necessary as he honestly had no idea what was going on in my life, and people like to make small talk. But then he crossed the line. They were sitting at the table at the entrance of the playground eating their nasty Krystal's while their kid ran around unsupervised. I had to stop her from feeding Bentley a stick of her sidewalk chalk, and as I was doing this, the man proceeds to give MY girls 2 of the burgers since they had extra. Admittedly, it was a nice gesture...but extremely inappropriate considering we don't know these people. I quickly chimed in and said "no thanks, they just ate," and made the girls give them back. How rude to just try and give my kids something like that without even asking me first.
Amazing.

But, it gets better. Unfortunately dogs are NOT allowed inside the playground, so I was forced to stand there with these ding dongs so I could watch my kids while they played. (I would have gone and stood on the side, but it was just my luck that it was flooded after the bad rains we've had) So, now the man sees fit to come over and throw down the burger his kid dropped on the ground in front of Bentley!! Ben snatched it up as any puppy would, so I had to literally grab him and reach my hand down his throat and get it out!
I was sooo mad!

I told the guy I do NOT give my dogs stuff like that. (much less from someone I don't know) He then proceeded to tell me that greasy burgers are actually good for dogs because the grease helps their stomachs. I asked him if he was going to be willing to come and clean up the explosive diarrhea that would have undoubtedly reared its ugly face had I allowed the grease bomb to make it down. He then tried to argue with me about it not being bad for them. I told him opinions are like
holes.....and I didn't need his as I'm perfectly content with my own.

They ended up leaving a few minutes after that.

On another note, Bentley did fantastic! He got to see 2 guys on bikes, a kid in a helmet came up and pet him, moms with strollers stopped and visited, and just lots of kids screaming and running around. He loved it.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Geez, all you wanted to do was take your kids and dog to the park--why can't people just leave everyone else alone?

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Granted that he should not have given the kids or the dog something to eat without asking first but I wonder what most people here would have thought of the overly friendly guy if he had gathered up his kids and said "get away from the mean dog" or something close to that?

Sounds like the guy just was a little overly friendly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
maybe he was actually trying to hit on YOU..... ;) Folks are odd ... and sometimes need a hammer to make them go away...

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
maybe he was actually trying to hit on YOU..... ;) Folks are odd ... and sometimes need a hammer to make them go away...
haha or that lol. I had two guys hit on me twice in front of my dad and failing miserably at it too haha it was really creepy

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I admit, my parents are like that. They have to talk to anyone and everyone....and my mother still holds my hand when we walk through a parking lot into a store...and I'm an old lady!

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Bad day at black rock.

Yes the man was inappropriate but he was not malicious. Sometimes I think when we're feeling vulnerable, it's better to prepare ourselves before hand. It would have been better all around if a response was in the ready. Anywhere from, "Sorry, I cannot talk today" to "Thanks but none of our family .... (what ever.)"

As it is, two adults now consider each other total jerks. That goes a long way toward what?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
What is happening to society where people are just offering their extra food to children and dogs?? LOL
I can totally see your point... I hate it when people give my dogs strange foods that I later have to clean up after... and I hate most park chit-chats... But another pet peeve of mine are people who throw perfectly good food away just because they're too lazy to carry it home or offer it to someone else first.
(I grew up during a war, with parents who grew up during another war so you can imagine how unbelievably cheap that makes me LOL)

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
I"m sorry you are having a bad week. I really am but this person meant no harm. Did he step over a line that modern society drew in the sand due to safety reasons? Yes. Did he do it maliciously? Doesn't sound like it. The only thing he did that could be considered truly jerky behavior is to argue with you when you asked him not to give the garbage burgers to your dog.

I really hope your week gets better.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I would be mad if someone handed my kids burgers but we don't eat beef, yuck, I would be offended to say the least. You should have told him to Keep that sewage for his own family lol. My dogs use to eat veggie dogs though lol
Hope you have a better day tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
A family was grilling in our local park and dropped a burger. They gave it to Felony as we were walking by. The only harm is that Felony now harasses whoever is at that picnic table.

We had a mail carrier with treats. Now Felony thinks that all mail trucks are the dog equivalent of the ice cream man.

·
Registered
508 Posts
...We had a mail carrier with treats. Now Felony thinks that all mail trucks are the dog equivalent of the ice cream man.
Everyone knows the story of Pavlov. My last border was so spoiled, I took her nearly everywhere with me, and when I was driving in town, and we would pull around any drive through window (even at the bank) she would start drooling. :eek:

Ya, I would say the guy was odd, but I wouldn't put him the catagory of criminal, maybe it's because I'm something of a back woods hick myself.:help:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
IMO, it was absolutely unacceptable for him to try to give food to your kids and your dog. First of all, you don't know him and unfortunately there are some real wackos out there. Sad, but true. Secondly, your kids or your dog could've been seriously allergic to something in the food he was offering. Allergies are SO common nowadays. I have celiac disease, so a burger with a bun would do really bad things to me. I know of many kids who suffer from the same condition. I also know of some dogs that have such severe allergies that something like a hamburger bun would send them into a downward spiral.

People simply need to THINK.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts