German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kyra has just turned 8 months. I measured her the other day and she is 21 1/2 inches at the wither. Is that small and will she grow much more? Not worried if she doesn't....just a curiosity :)

·
Super Moderator
32,538 Posts
At 8 months old she will probably grow a little more. It's impossible to guess exactly how much, but she's already within the standard. Halo is around the same size, and she's 4-1/2 years old.

·
Super Moderator
32,538 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I think alot of people are really used to the big german shepherds now a days. Your dog may be on the smaller size right now but My veterinarian said Dogs have different growth rates and therefore mature at different ages even with the same breed. She may be due for another growth spurt, if not relax in knowing she is with in the breed standard. Even though I know its easier said than done, because we are always worried about them.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Lucy stopped growing at almost 2 years! I have measured her several times, yes, she is 74 cm to her shoulder blades. She started to grow wider since then, her croup is more muscular, her chest is wider, she is havier, I can judge even by photographs. She is oversized, but there's no HD, good God.
Your dog is a right size. Actually, for Agility they don't look for bigger, it happens that smaller GSDs are more agile and fidgety, exactly what the sport needed. Larger GSDs are bulkier, heavier and they are not so good at jumping, keeping the balance or squeezing between the posts. You will see that in Schutzhund there are very few big dogs too for the same reason. So, you should be full of sanguine hopes.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Another question :) kyra was weighed today and is 21.6 kg (47.62 pounds) - does that weight sound low for 8 months?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
No, my girl is 8 months old as of last week, and I weighed her this week to get her revolution and she was 52lbs so not that much more than your girl, so no that does not sound low

·
Registered
387 Posts
Another question :) kyra was weighed today and is 21.6 kg (47.62 pounds) - does that weight sound low for 8 months?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I don't think she will hit the top end of the standard but she will be within the standard maybe a bit on the smaller side but closer to the middle. She is already within the standard actually.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts