German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just wondering what you are using for your everyday collars. Just recently noticed how much the hair has worn down on my dogs neck she currently has a rubber hunting collar.

Is leather or nylon best? she would have to be able to wear it with her prong, and I don't like slip collars just for general around the house wear.
thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
A lot of dog show people use White Pine collars as every day collars because they don’t leave marks. They are super soft. I recently bought a couple for my dog Scarlet.

http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm usually the odd man out and this time is no different. I have never deemed it necessary to have collars on my dogs. My home was once known as the 'Misfit Island', filled to the brim with unadoptable rescue dogs. We are also known as the nudist colony, no collars or tags. Only when they leave the property will I put a collar on them.

I have heard, though, that the rolled leather collars are not as damaging to their coats. You may want to give your pup's coat a break from a collar until it can repair itself.

I am certain others, with more experience will jump in...

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
our dogs are naked at home. When we leave the house we use martingales both as a backup for the prong (if they are wearing one) and to hold their I.D. tags. I like the ones from LupinePet. https://www.lupinepet.com/store/dogs/martingale-collars Nice designs, good price, good quality and great guarantee.

IN the photo the collars are loose and low. My gal was pretty well behaved to we were casual and comfortable

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,096 Posts
I second the rolled leather collars.When you take them off for cleaning there's no wear on the fur whatsoever.Can't even tell they ever wore a collar.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have 2 dogs and 0 collars in the house. I got tired of putting them on/off, so I stopped putting them on and then all collars got somewhere lost.

I didn't like them for ruining the fur on the neck. And if dog left unsupervised he could hang himself on them or get stuck somewhere.

- Around the house they don't need collar.
- Off the leash they don't need collar.
- On the leash - I made a loop at the end of leash, so no need for a collar.

Of course there's might be problem where to attach a stamp with your contact info, if dog runs away. But my dogs....sometimes I wish they would run away for at least a few minutes or left my side and gave me some space. But no. Never happening!

I guess I didn't help you a lot. :grin2:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Best collars we've ever owned have to be the "Buckle Down" ones. They're reasonably priced, are easy on the coat, and are built of extremely tough nylon which is similar in design to your car's seatbelts. A very secure collar which features a very cool latching mechanism which is, again, identical to your car's seatbelt buckle, only smaller. Buckle Down collars and leashes have been around for quite awhile, but have been gaining popularity in recent years. They come in hundreds of different designs/colours. (see photos and company link below)

Our dogs have never worn their collars when in the house; only when they are going outside.

https://shop.buckle-down.com/collections/seatbelt-buckle-collars

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Sheba's Buckle Down collar in "pink cammo"

Sheba's matching Buckle Down 6' lead in "pink cammo"

·
Registered
160 Posts
On my older dog ( an English bulldog) she goes naked in the house, but my GSD pup Dean, keeps his on throughout the day so its not so hard o take him out to potty. At night though, when he is in his crate he goes nude for safety purposes.
We use nylon here. I have a few from this place in Australia. I love them. She made this amazing custom collar for Dean. Its so well made. She's made a few for my sister too, who has bull terriers, who like to pull, and the plastic snaps have yet to break, and thats pretty rare with my sisters dogs lol
This is her website, but she is also on Instagram, and facebook.
https://collaron.wixsite.com/collaron

Attachments

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
No collars at home, ever. Prong for leash walks. E-collar for off leash hikes anywhere where I can expect wild life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used rolled leather collars for years on both my long and standard coated shepherds. Never bothers their coat, is strong and lasts forever. Because leather stretches somewhat, they can slip out of them if caught in the woods and they struggle. I have not had issues when they swim in the lake or pool with these collars on. I use them for everyday and leave them on to train and show in obedience and rally. The pinch collar fits with them still on because they are narrow. I also show in breed (UKC) with show collars but do not have "collar marks" in their fur from the rolled collars. I will not use anything else on my dogs for everyday and working.
Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts