German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I have an appointment at the vet for Everest (yorkshire 8 years old)

He coughs a lot.

Last year, Everest coughing only in the morning. The vet did not find anything.

But now, he coughs each hour... :(

He spits, he suffocates, he breathes hard.

I think it's his heart. :( but I hope I'm wrong.

Hélène

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Oh no :( I hope Everest will be ok. Everest is one of, if not the most beautiful Yorkshire's I have ever seen. Praying for you.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:D

With Baby Gibbs

construction supervisor

During winter :)

It's a fantastic dog!! :)

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I love your pictures as always. Our Yorkie has an undiagnosed cough that comes and goes. To us she sounds like a Canadian Goose. She'll go weeks without a single episode then have them several times a day, they seem to take her breath away. Of course we can't get a cough at the Vets, and her lungs are clear. Hope your little one gets better soon..

·
Registered
504 Posts
I love your pictures as always. Our Yorkie has an undiagnosed cough that comes and goes. To us she sounds like a Canadian Goose. She'll go weeks without a single episode then have them several times a day, they seem to take her breath away. Of course we can't get a cough at the Vets, and her lungs are clear. Hope your little one gets better soon..
Are you sure this isn't a reverse sneeze? (Doesn't actually sound like a sneeze, collapsing trachea would be more accurate). You can look up youtube videos of it. The history and your description is accurate for this, very commons in Yorkies, mine does it as well. Brought on by stress, excitement, pulling on leash, or allergens.

The OPs dog actually sounds like bronchitis to me, which is also common in older little dogs. With congestive heart disease you will ALWAYS have an increased respiratory rate at rest, so a good quick test for you to do and to have the info to take with you to the vet, is take a resting rate. All you do is wait for the dog to be asleep, truly asleep, and count the number of respirations for 1 minute. Normal is something under maybe 25/min, would likely see something like 40-50-60 a minute if heart disease causing a cough.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Oh no.. poor little guy! I hope it's nothing serious. I'll keep you guys in my thoughts. Get better Everest!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Everest make a reverse sneeze, when he's exciting, pulling on leash, etc.

The vet, last year, the vet said it was perhaps chronic bronchitis. There was no further investigations because the dog did not cough a lot at that time.

:(

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Chest x-rays? See what the lungs are doing?

Fecal - roundworms can go into the lungs and cause breathing issues.

is Lar Par - you can get more by googling the full name Laryngeal Paralysis - but on the side are other videos of other issues too. It's more common in large dogs I guess, but I thought I'd mention it, and also liked that there were a lot of videos of other things on the right side of that one.

Good luck, he's adorable.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read on google, I think it is cardiac insufficiency. But this p.m., we will know.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Chest x-rays? See what the lungs are doing?

Fecal - roundworms can go into the lungs and cause breathing issues.

Confirmed: Canine Laryngeal Paralysis - YouTube is Lar Par - you can get more by googling the full name Laryngeal Paralysis - but on the side are other videos of other issues too. It's more common in large dogs I guess, but I thought I'd mention it, and also liked that there were a lot of videos of other things on the right side of that one.

Good luck, he's adorable.
Lar par dogs don't really cough (well they can if they choke), they make an upper respiratory sound (since the problem is not in their lungs or trachea) with a different name and struggle with exercise. I've never heard of it in small breed dogs....it's always labs (mostly) and others around that size.
Unless the OPs dog had a heart murmur at the time of coughing before, then very likely it's bronchitis. I'm not sure why she's so convinced its the heart, maybe something she's not sharing with us. I even gave a very easy test to do to know if it is. I see LOTS of dogs with heart murmurs, very few that actually cough from congestive heart failure, the vast majority cough from bronchitis, which I see 1-2 small dogs with almost every week of my life, especially in spring/summer since it can have an allergy component. But you know, I guess Dr. google knows all. Not even sure why I bother anymore.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I only read your initial post so not sure if this has been mentioned. It sounds like his heart. I have a 13.5yr maltese that does that. Last fall they diagnosed her with a heart murmur. SHe is on 2 heart medications (one is lasix) and a thyroid med. The coughing is fluid on the lungs, the heart isn't strong enough to keep them clear.

I've noticed mine has gotten worse this summer and the heat is been hard on her, even though she is only in it long enough to do her business. I do believe the meds have prolonged her life. Did your vet listen to his heart? I would think he would catch it if it was a heart murmur.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts