German Shepherds Forum banner

Have you ever tried a piece of your dogs food?

• Yes

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 48.5%
  • Might give it a try

Votes: 6 8.8%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this may seem strange but have you ever sampled some of Fido,s kibble? :eek:

If it says it's made from good quality ingredients then hey why not!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have tried milk bones when I was younger.

Not too shabby!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I did once... Someone on a dog forum said that Wysong Synorgen tasted like pepper (the spice, not the vegetable), and that was what I was feeding my dog at the time, so I took a piece of kibble and tasted (licked) it. They were right, it did taste like pepper! Weird.

I had a friend when I was a kid who ate a bunch of Milkbones once. I had them lying around and she just asked for the box and then started eating them. :shrug:

·
Registered
252 Posts
TOTW High Plains doesn't taste bad :p Well it's not really good but I have had worse food.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I ate a Milk Bone when I was a kid - on a dare. Not good-didn't like the little bone bits.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i've tasted cat food. I was 8 or 9 and it was a dare for $50. Naturally $50 was a lot of money for an 8 or 9 year old so i did it. Won. Not even going to eat dog food. Thanks but no.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yup! Glad to see I am not such a freak. After all I don't feed my dogs anything I wouldn't eat!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I've eaten the treats I make at home, but never anything store bought. I'm not much of a meat eater, so their food doesn't appeal to me at all.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I taste the ground beef and rice dinner I make for my dog..but then it's made from all human grade food..so no issues there. My daughter on the other hand has tasted the Milky Bones and surprisingly enough liked it !! Now I've to keep an eye on it and make sure she does not swipe some from our pet's plate !

·
Registered
972 Posts
i have tried milk bones, and also science diet and BB, just to see if they really tasted like they smell

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I hate to admit, and if I'm gonna do it, this is the place....but I have pretty much sampled what I feed my GSD.

Funny story, but true. Had another arguement with my wife about what the dog gets to eat. After 14 years and with my second GSD, I am dealing with allergies for the first time. First step was to immediately narrow the scope of her diet, followed by treating the symptoms...meds, soak in a tub of warm water, and a topical antibiotic for the spot or two that required it. Wednesday I come in and Dayna had just scarfed something down...I could tell....you know that look and the lip licking?? So in a voice of authority.."what did the dog just eat?"....and the answer comes back, "corn dogs the kids didn't finish".

Needless to say, I was upset....she has been on a restriced diet for a week, the spots where she had irritation have all cleared up, and the symptomatic scratching has subsided, so we feed her corn dogs! My well though out response was, "you cannot feed this :censored: to my dog!", to which she pointed out, in a very angry tone, "that is what I feed your children". Allow me to point out that she and I have had this discussion before under less strained conditions....but I've just turned a corner in a very short time addressing my dog's issue, and she fed her CORN!!!

So yah, I taste what I feed my dog, with the exception of corn dogs, I wouldn't eat that crap.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Apparently..I barely remember this...My mother had to hide the dog food from me until I was almost 4...I guess it must taste pretty good!!!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Yes, it's very dry. I've also put a prong collar on my neck and gave myself a "correction." I won't put my dogs through anything I won't go through. Well, except for neutering.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I haven't tried the kibble, but I have tried some of the treats just to see if they tasted as good as they smelled. The cherry hip bones smell really good and the Trader Joe cookies that smell like gingerbread. They were both bland.

No wonder Bison LOVES my molasses crinkles! They are like doggie crack to him.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I just tried a piece of their kibble (Natural Balance Duck and Potato). It had almost no taste at all, just a slight cinnamon or ginger taste.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts