German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to be on a forum where I have not been since my dogs died (I slowed after old Bitch in October and ground to a halt in visits when Beast died in February). I was reading back through the pages and saw a subject about colorations, coats, etc and decided to take a look. Several posts down was my Beast's foot. I know its just a foot, but it was so odd to me. I think the photo was posted on this forum at some point (thus the source). It was just so random, unexpected...

Ever be poking around somewhere and stumble into a pic of your dog (or his part as my case was)?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Never my dog. But one lady used a photo of my colt. Stated it was one of her duns, this was on facebook. The breeder caught it and got a hold of me along with getting a hold of the person letting them know she didn't have permission to use it. I wasn't too thrilled but she took it down right away. That's a bit different, as she was claiming ownership, but haha I don't like it regardless unless I'm asked permission. Especially with the time and effort I put into my photos.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Sometimes when I'm searching for a photo of something on Google, I come across a photo of one of my dogs on the google image search. Usually either it's linked because I posted it on one of the dog forum sites I'm on, or it's on my own website.

I also was surprised to find a photo of my cat Church on some pet shopping site I was looking at... He "modeled" a t-shirt for a cat webstore once, but when I took the photo for it, I didn't realize they were going to be wholesaling the t-shirt and that the photo would be all over the place. So I wasn't expecting it on some random site and was really surprised when I saw it!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I had submitted Jazz's photo to Modern Dog and completely forgot about it. A few months later I was leafing through their most recent issue and there he was! I was so excited I bought a couple of copies and showed everyone at work, lol.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
I have had both sides. Fotos that I took of my own dog that someone listed on their site. Fotos that I took with copyright (of course) that people that did not have permission to use on their site or used in ad.

And someone used a nice foto that someone else took of my daughter for a dog ad. That is illegal; as she is under 18 (at the time, 5) and the people that created and posted the add (in a national mag) did not let us know and did not ask permission.

Confirmed with our lawyer, wrote a stern email and finally, they re-did the ad. Took months and I had to push.

Behavior like that is not acceptable.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am NOT a photographer- lucky if things are in focus. I don't care really that the photo was pinched from this site and posted to another- just was taken aback as I scrolled through the thread. GUess I am still raw about the BEast death
It can be a bit surprising. I'm so sorry about your loss. It's hard to lose them. My heart still hurts over my Mack and its been 11 years.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
If people are using your photograph for advertising or selling goods, they need to PAY you, or they are in violation of copyright law. Yes, I've had it happen to me. I do music photography, and I've found my photos in magazines without credit or payment. If I find my photos used online I don't usually make a stink about it, but if they are being used for commercial purposes in print media, I get rather grumpy, and the business gets a nicely worded legal threat. :D They usually pay up quickly.

Remember, photo contests, user submissions, etc. are sneaky ways for businesses to get free content. Anytime you submit a photo for publication, notice that you have to sign something. Of course no one reads those things, but it basically says, "you are GIVING us the copyright to your photo, we now own your photo, and we can use it however we want, forever and ever, and you will get NO compensation and you have NO legal recourse for said photo".

Don't ever submit a photo for free.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Yes, I've found some of my photos in odd places and always ask for them to be removed and if not, then I file a DMCA violation. I've had people steal photos that I took of someone else's dog and use them to misrepresent their dogs. Not cool.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
After a dog event Viking's picture (not taken by me) ended up on the event facebook page. One of my acquaintances posted pictures I took of my cats on a forum without my permission and they got a firm talking to and I had the admin of the forum remove them. It just felt weird. I'm not really very stern about the distribution of my photos and I won't go out of my way to file a DMCA violation unless it rubs me the wrong way. I'll always ask that it be manually removed before I go in with legal crap. Some people just don't know. I've seen my pictures in google images before, an I KNOW when looking for an image I've gone to Google images and copy-pasted the image URL when trying to reference something. I don't mean any infringement by it and if someone suddenly filed a DMCA on me over it I'd be very upset and feel really horrible. Some people honestly don't know.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I don't file DMCA for hot-linking, not even sure if that works. I'm talking about people who downloaded my photos and then uploaded them to their own Facebook, web site, etc. THAT is just not right. I've also had people remove my watermarks. That sort of stuff is intentional. Filing DMCA via FB automatically warns them, informs them of what is wrong, and gives them a chance to fix it themselves. If not, then FB will remove within 24 hours. I only upload my photos to Flickr and every photo has a license clearly visible. If people don't understand how it works they should not be downloading other people's material and then re-uploading it and using it in their own profiles. I don't see how someone cannot think that is not wrong or they shouldn't have to ask. It's a bigger issue for me because most of the time it has happened with photos that were not of me/my dogs. If someone else pays me money to take photos of them and their dog you bet I'm not going to allow someone else to download those photos, ignore our license agreement, and use them for their own purpose. Regardless of how I feel about it, that's not fair to the people who request and pay to have those photos taken.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Yes, this happened to me about a month or two ago. I was searching for something when I accidently came across pictures of my three senior dogs who all died within 9 months of each other. Got upset, started crying and couldn't go back for a day or so.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
If you Google "Pekapom" and then go to images, a LOT of pictures are of my dogs. (And one of me, Chance and a neighbors Labrador, Cash!) Even a picture of my old living room comes up. :S It's rather creepy.

^ SERIOUSLY! It comes up on Google!!

A couple are of Eevee and Zoey, one is of Maggie. Most are of Chance and even Gretchen is now on there. o_O Apparently it's because of my signature on this forum.

So yeah, pretty much watch what you put on the internet because Google will hunt it down pretty darn quick and I don't know that there is anything you can do about it. :/ At that point they often come up for "grabs" for people.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I'm apparently also the reason that if any of you Google Pekapom, you're likely to find a picture of YOUR dog. :x I noticed several pictures of members dogs here. XD To be looking for Pekapom pictures, there happens to be quite a lot of German Shepherds. LOL!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts