German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going to buy a couple new dog beds but balked at the price. Looking at $50/each or so.

Surely I can make them for cheaper? Buy a Queen size Egg Crate or Memory foam topper, cut it in half and show "something"? around it? I have tones of sheets and old quilts.

Anyone ever made one?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I was actually thinking of doing just that. Buy some nice foam and do some sewing. It will work out much cheaper than buying one. A friend of mine actually knitted a cover for her dog's bed. Looked very smart and was nice and warm. I actually want to make 2...one for the living room and one for the bedroom. What's cool, is you can use material that fits your colour scheme and decor.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
My mom made one for us...it's huge, big enough for two dogs.

It's a green, burlap-y but comfortable fabric. It's stuffed with eggcrate and the BEST thing is, we have velcro on the edges so we can open it, remove the eggcrate and wash the bed.

We've had it for two or three years now and it's held up well.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I asked my local yahoo freecycle group for materials for making a dog bed and a kind person replied with bags and bags of soft materials not suitable for her quilting but perfect for my dog bed. I used that which was free, an old egg crate mattress pad which was already purchased and an old duvet cover I wasn't using and happened to match the living room furniture. Overall cost free and I have one HAPPY comfortable dog!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I've made a bunch of them. I buy the egg crate foam at Walmart.
Use a twin flat sheet and cut it in half top to bottom. Fold in half so the top and bottom meet and sew the two sides. You now have two 'beds'. Cut egg crate foam to fit....I use two pieces to make it thicker.
Very cheap and easy to do. When the dogs chew it or whatever....it's not a big loss. My dogs love them.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I made one a few years ago for Sadie and Scooter. I used an old memory foam topper that I hated for my bed. I used and old sheet and I also made a bolster that I used stuffing from an old body pillow.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I grab all those crate-sized Thrift Store rugs for the crate, and for beds I fold up a twin size comforter. I don't have a sewing machine... and stitching by hand something that size... nah.

I've never bought a dog bed! Right now they're sleeping on these really thick cotton bathroom rugs I retired from my own bathroom after spilling nail polish on one.

I love the ease of washing the rugs, and how they perfectly fit into the floor of the crate. They provide just enough padding without holding heat, all that hair... they don't need to be kept warm, just comfortable.

You can also "spot" train, lay on the rug and stay, where ever you put it. Ricca has this thing where she lays right in front of the cable box, making the remote not work. So I brought out a rug, placed it away from the cable box, and she lays there without affecting my TV scanning.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Another idea is to purchase a crib mattress at garage sales. I have two that I paid $10 a piece for and I am looking for a third.

Most people do not want to buy a used crib mattress for their baby if they buy a used crib and most baby consignment stores will not sell used mattresses. But they are perfect for large breed dog beds. They have a vinyl cover that is easy to wash if it gets muddy or if you are like me and have an older dog that has accidents from time to time. You can also buy fitted sheets to match your decor if you choose or simply wrap it in an old sheet or blanket.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have made many, many dog beds for my dogs, friends dogs, donated to SAR teams and SAR auctions. I make them out of medical grade foam (scrap from 3M where I work) and cover them with a waterproof material. I then make a big pillow case with cotton on one side and fleece on the other side, so I can flip them summer or winter. When dirty I can pull the pillow case and wash it and wipe down the bed if necessary. Works great and the dogs love them.

·
Administrator
10,735 Posts
i've never made one myself, but i have had handmade beds in the past... that is until i discovered the ortho beds at costco for $25 bucks. their colors/patterns rotate (by store? by season? by order?) but i can generally always work with what they've got, and sometimes even love the pattern. the foam holds up for ever, and the covers can withstand many washes (i wash them every month and mine are currently 2yrs old)

$24 (indoor beds)
$24 (outdoor beds)
$20 (indoor round beds)

if it weren't for costco -- i'd probably be commissioning my friends or grandma to make our beds.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I've made a dog bed before. It cost me about $12 by the time I was finished and I didn't even use all they supplies(fabric, foam/stuffing,etc) that I bought for it!! If I would of used it all it would of been too big and wouldn't fit were I wanted it to sit in the house.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I made one before, we had a foster kitten have an accident on the really nice memory foam for our parents bed, instead of throwing it out, I cut off the good parts. I went to Jo-annes and picked out this very cute dog bone fabric and sewed it into a slip cover, my friend helped me put on a zipper so I could remove it and wash it. It worked out as a great dog bed and it only ended up costing me about $10-$15 whatever I paid for the fabric and zipper!

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
My biggest complaint with store-bought dog beds is that you really cannot wash the WHOLE thing.

The egg crate stuff can be washed but it's a pain. I simply buy comforters at thrift stores or garage sales, fold them up and toss them on the floor. Instant dog bed!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I haven't made a bed, but I have made a cover. I had a dog bed from Walmart, I believe. The dog bed itself was in great shape and still very comfy, but the cover was ripped to shreds. I got some $1/yd fabric from Walmart... ended up being some type of table cloth material, I think. Very thick and sturdy. I sewed up a new cover, including a zipper. The dogs have dug in it a million times and still haven't destroyed it.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Originally Posted By: Branca's Mom

Buy a Queen size Egg Crate or Memory foam topper, cut it in half and show "something"? around it? I have tones of sheets and old quilts.

Anyone ever made one?
exactly what i did for my 2 girls. i bought 2 queen egg crates cut each in half and stacked the two pieces for each bed, then put some old blankets on top of that. i just use fitted sheets and tuck them under (since i have no sewing skills). that makes washing super easy. cheaper than the beds at the stores and the cushioning is superior to most pet beds ive seen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.