German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So having to give my 4 month old GSD away due to going off to boot camp for Marines in a few months plus with all the training I do to prepare plus a job I just don't have the time to put in with her. So I am giving her to my retired grandfather.

Anyone else had to give a dog away? Did the dog take well to it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
At that young of an age the pup will be fine. Just let your retired grandfather know to give the dog lots of love and comfort in the beginning for a week or two and the dog will adapt very quickly and feel very safe with him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
a dog that young will definitely adapt just fine. Likely need some reassurance and extra love the first week, as mentioned above, but otherwise, long as proper exercise and training is managed, shouldn't have any negative effects.

My cousin was a marine for 8 years before being medically discharged and my husband is a corpsman. Our first station was Camp Lejeune in NC. Enjoy! Lots of "camping" and training.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had to give up my very first dog I ever owned back when I was just barely a teen. She was a Lab/Golden x most likely Shepherd or Collie mix. It was the worst feeling in the world, I remember being so unbelievably upset, but I was so immature back then to care for/raise a dog then. It had been my parents choice to get rid of her. Luckily; I got to visit her a year later at her new home on a farm with a retired man and couldn't be happier so, it made me feel better that she was in a better place at the time and I didn't need to worry anymore.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've been on the receiving end of getting older dogs ranging in age from 6 months to about 10 years old and all of them did just fine. I spent a lot of time with each one, did obedience, took them places, etc. but each dog quickly adapted to my family and life style and lived happily ever after!!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I've never "given up" a dog, as in felt I had no other choice but to re-home a dog, but I've bought dogs, adopted dogs, received dogs that others had to give up, sold dogs, fostered dogs....you name it.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That's good news that she will be with your retired grandfather. It's maybe more like an indetermine foster?

And you couldn't have a better reason. Thank you for your service!

·
Registered
32,018 Posts
Boot camp snuck up on you, eh? The puppy will be fine switching owners at four months. I think its harder on us to give up our four footed friends. 2 months ago you weren't planning on going into the service?

·
Banned
377 Posts
Not clear when you are going in. The younger you give her up the better.
How old is your grandfather? Is he able to keep up with a young land shark?
I joined the Marines 50 years ago.
Keep your mouth shut and your ears open and get in the best
shape possible before you get there.
Best of luck and Semper Fi !

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yeah. When I was a kid we had to give up a puppy we adopted. We were told he was a Sheltie Mix and would max out at around 30lbs.

...With a little TLC, that tiny puppy grew to weigh in at over 80lbs...lean as can be, too, but bigger than we could have.

It took a few months to find a new home for him, but we did, and he lived out his life in a loving, active family with a Golden Retreiver buddy.

I AM surprised you made such a sudden decision to join the Marines, not knowing only 2 months ago, but I am glad you have a home available for the little girl.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah when I bought her I had expected her to be a full year old by the time boot camp rolled around but it came sooner then to be expected so she wont really have someone to play with why shes young unless my retired grandfather were to own her because he is home all day and his german shepherd died not to long ago so hes been wanting to get another anyways. But I feel it would be best to just give her to someone who can be with her all day with her everyday and wont be going away for 3 months soon then off stationed someone for 6 months-year.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If your grandfather is a seasoned GSD owner and was looking for a new pup anyway, that's awesome!!

If he sends you updates while you're away, share with us :)

Be safe!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Yes I have taken in my kids dogs When they were unable to keep them. I was already acquainted with them and they had been to my house before, they do fine. This being a pup will probably be easier than an adult dog.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
If you knew you were going to have to go off soon and be gone for 6-12 months at a time, why did you get a new puppy? :confused:

What does the puppy's breeder think of this?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you knew you were going to have to go off soon and be gone for 6-12 months at a time, why did you get a new puppy? :confused:

What does the puppy's breeder think of this?
When I got her I never even think of joining the Corps. But when I did I was suppose to ship out in feb, well now I ship out 3 months from today instead

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed. Hope the grandfather is OK with this and can handle him.
He was insearch of a girl black and silver one, which is why I told him he can have her sense I will be gone for a long time from her. When I bought her its what made him want to get himself another sense his last one died.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts