German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About getting a dog's hips xrayed?

I am. :crazy:

Storm is almost 1yr (10 months on the 16th to be exact). In order to lock down her warranty with the breeder, I have to xray her before her first birthday (May 16th). I don't have any reason to expect issues, or any red flags, and she's from good breeding with OFA'd hips down the lines..... but, I have so much depending on those hips. That's one thing I don't really have too much control over. I'm really nervous about it. Unfortunately, even if they are good, that's not the end of our road. We'll still have the OFA and possibly PennHip at 2. I'll be doing other recommended heath tests too. This is the start of it all though. :rolleyes:

Anyway... just wanted to talk to others about this that actually understand. My SO really doesn't take it as serious. He's just doing it because I say we need to. :help::crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
Hm my Hex had hip x-rays at 4 month because we expected problems - so yeah I was VERY nervous.

Look at it this way though, once you have the x-rays you at least know how it looks in there. For me the worst is always NOT knowing.
My female just turned 6 she's never had hip xrays and shows no signs of any problems but I'd really like to know what they look like so I can taylor her exercise etc especially as she's getting older. Next time she has to be sedated or have an anaethetic I'll ask for a hip xray.

It's a lot of tests and a lot of $ but it's worth it, are you planning on breeding with her?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,913 Posts
Yes, I was SUPER nervous!!!

I had Zefra done when she was spayed and was nervous that she would have to be pulled from the sports she so desperately needs and loves to maintain her sanity.. lol.

They came back (prelims) as Good to Excellent - deep sigh!

Zefra was suppose to be a potential breeding female so I had the same worries as you as well at that time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,315 Posts
I did it as soon as Karlo was old enough(6 mos). I wanted to know what was inside so I didn't over do it if there were issues. I was lucky that the vet doing the x-ray could read and grade them with his expertise without them being sent off.

I think it is the only responsible thing to do when doing sports with young dogs...I wasn't nervous at all, but hopeful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,913 Posts
Jane - that is the one reason I love living near U of Guelph! ;) I have a radiologist who was apart of the OVC team here in Canada.. :) Was able to tell me a "grade" even though I didn't send them in. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I was SUPER nervous!!!

I had Zefra done when she was spayed and was nervous that she would have to be pulled from the sports she so desperately needs and loves to maintain her sanity.. lol.

They came back (prelims) as Good to Excellent - deep sigh!

Zefra was suppose to be a potential breeding female so I had the same worries as you as well at that time.
That's the same with Storm... along with other things. If anything is wrong with her hips... not only are we pulling her from sports and possible breeding (she would be spayed immediately), but I'm also going to have to make a VERY hard decision.

She was purchased as my last sport dog hopeful. I just don't have room for 4th dog here. I have one dog that's just a pet (Zira), another that does a little in protection and OB but wont go any further (Duke)... and Storm was my shot for a true sporting dog that I can title and actually get somewhere with. She's also the start of my mentor program. IF she passes all health tests, and if she trains how we expect her to and title like we plan.... she's got potential to be bred through my trainer/her breeder's program. She's got a LOT to prove before then... but those hips are the first step, and an automatic end to our plans if they are not good.

As it's getting closer, I'm getting even more nervous. It's been on my mind ALL week now since I spoke with the vet tech at our clinic.

I keep telling myself not to worry... she's fine... they'll be great! But as we all know here... even the best bred dogs can come back with terrible hips and have shown no signs as puppies. So I can't help but worry. Doesn't help that I'm a worrier. :rolleyes:

Hm my Hex had hip x-rays at 4 month because we expected problems - so yeah I was VERY nervous.

Look at it this way though, once you have the x-rays you at least know how it looks in there. For me the worst is always NOT knowing.
My female just turned 6 she's never had hip xrays and shows no signs of any problems but I'd really like to know what they look like so I can taylor her exercise etc especially as she's getting older. Next time she has to be sedated or have an anaethetic I'll ask for a hip xray.

It's a lot of tests and a lot of $ but it's worth it, are you planning on breeding with her?
Yeah, I'll be happy to know... but just hoping they are good! Then I'll be REALLY happy to know! lol What a relief that would be!

And it's nothing definite as she's still way too young to tell 100%. But she is a breeding hopeful. We still have a lot of health tests, training tests, and titles to get through though (and of course age/maturity). Lots of hoops for this girl to jump before I give the thumbs up to breed her.

If all is good here.... she'll be going through OFA at 2. But this starts everything. It's opening a whole new can of worms and just hoping everything is put together nicely. :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,913 Posts
I totally understand. Zefra was my "learning dog" in terms of sports and breeding. I am getting the first part so the last will come someday. Not sure if I ever want to breed, but I do enjoy learning about it.

My limit is 4 dogs, so I still have more room but for now the 2 I have is plenty until Zefra is a bit older and more mature.. lol. I can't handle another Zefra at this very moment.. no way!

I am sure everything will be fine. I wish you luck!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,483 Posts
I understand. Beau is coming up at 2 in July and I have not done prelims. No reason to suspect any problems but you never know..He is not really targeted for breeding. It may play out down the road a few times, it may not. I will be happy if we wind up with fair or better...my primary concern is working ability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,662 Posts
I know sometimes no preliminary signs show up...but often they do.

Always (or almost always) puppy sitting on one hip or the other, a peculiar little sway in through the hips when they walk, laying down more then other puppies/dogs, showing reluctance to jump, tug hard, or otherwise engage the hind end. Lunging on long line (yup kind of like horses) watch the extension of the hind limbs under the belly, going left, going right is there shortness in the stride from one side to the other.

If your puppy doesn't show these signs...well it's not a guarantee but it is does stack the odds for good hips!

You being a horse person will have a good eye for these sort of things too.

Fingers are crossed for Storm and you! Keep positive. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
ever been nervous? EVERY FREAKIN' TIME!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,367 Posts
Yes, very!!! The last time I did them my girl came back with mild displasia. While I don't suspect anything with Bear I haven't done them yet and was going to do them at 18 months to 2 years (which is soon!).

I've been freaking out lately because I keep hearing clicking noises from Bear's elbows but he's not been any pain or limiting his activity. I guess I'll have to have his xrays done sooner rather than later for my own piece of mind!

Good luck with Storm's, I'll have my fingers crossed for you :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Yes, I worried and as it turned out there was a good reason to be worried. Although I could see that something was wrong which was why I was getting the x-rays done.

Good luck with the results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses and well wishes! It's good to hear from others that understand the importance and how much this type of concern sucks.

I said I wanted to get into the working world and possibly the breeding world... and this is just the things that I have to be a little different minded with. My other two are rescues and we take them for what they are... bad hips, SIBO and all the other issues. They'll always stay here and get the special care they need. The mindset and plans with Storm are very different. I pray I do not EVER have to do anything with her warranty with her breeder..... but, at the same time, I invested a lot of money, time, training, travel, and other expenses for a very specific reason. I can't just give it all up and throw in the towel.

.....This stuff was SOOOO much easier to go through with horses. I used to work for a barn training sales horses and helping with their demos to potential buyers. I also sold a few of my own. I didn't mind it one bit. I missed all of them of course... but, thinking of a possible bad outcome and what that will mean with a dog hurts a heck of a lot more. I feel like a bad person for thinking of that possibility.... but, if I am to get into sporting and possibly breeding... I just can't keep everyone dog that steps into my house. (although I wish I could) :(

Anyone on here made that decision before?

(just to be clear... NOT talking about euthanasia.. I wouldn't ever allow that for something fixable or manageable and neither would her breeder. I'm referring to switching with the breeder through the health guarantee.)

I feel terrible even talking about it. But, after talking with my SO tonight on what are the options and where we go from there (good or bad results) and talking about her future..... It's a reality that hit a bit hard. Now I'm REALLY nervous about these results!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,369 Posts
Definitely, especially with all these threads of dogs so young having really bad cases. Ollie is cow-hocked and slightly down on his pasterns though I wouldn't consider it an extreme case but he did bunny hop a bit when he was younger.

He has improved a lot but he just hit 6 months so I will be getting his x-rays done soon. He doesn't show any signs of limping or pain but I'm still nervous and I will do whatever surgery he needed... But hopefully he won't need any! I originally got him to be a companion dog, it was only afterwards that I considered doing sports with him... I could never, ever give him up for whatever outcome. Not sure how I'd feel if I was much more involved with the sport world.

Good luck, I hope everything goes well for her. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,913 Posts
Yes, I have thought about it.

Zefra was suppose to be my first sporting/breeding dog and when things were discovered about her breeder and she was spayed, I had a moment of "oh gosh, now I am not going to have that with her, can I afford another dog in the future?"

It was such a bummer. I got A LOT of heat from people around here for spaying her, but it was the only choice I had in my mind to keep her safe and here with me.

I am only at 2 dogs and would like 3-4 so, I know I still have room (not right now, but later..lol) but there was that sinking feeling in my gut.

A dream I had that vanished very quickly. It didn't help that people were calling me and asking why I did it, why I didn't just send her off somewhere while things were worked out with lawyers and such. I know now I made the right decision but it still stinks.

I get the "fear" behind this situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
My vet has never even mentioned hip x-rays... At what age (if not showing any signs of HD) would you guys recommend to get a dog's hips x-rayed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
How well do you know the breeder? And do they have the space and money to care for the dog if you did have to return under the health guarantee?

I have a guarantee on my male and they've offered me a replacement pup... but I know that he would be put down if I returned him, so I can't do it.

I understand that your situation is different as I was buying him as a companion and training was more of a fun thing to do with the beneficial outcome of having a well behaved dog.

I really hope that your results are good so that you won't have to make any hard decisions. I honestly don't know what I would do in your situation if the results aren't what you need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How well do you know the breeder? And do they have the space and money to care for the dog if you did have to return under the health guarantee?

I have a guarantee on my male and they've offered me a replacement pup... but I know that he would be put down if I returned him, so I can't do it.

I understand that your situation is different as I was buying him as a companion and training was more of a fun thing to do with the beneficial outcome of having a well behaved dog.

I really hope that your results are good so that you won't have to make any hard decisions. I honestly don't know what I would do in your situation if the results aren't what you need.
I know my breeder very well. He's also our trainer. He'll take her back and rehome her for sure. She wouldn't be PTS. Which is a relief. But that doesn't make me feel any better about it really.

I'm just hoping and praying she's got great hips!

My vet has never even mentioned hip x-rays... At what age (if not showing any signs of HD) would you guys recommend to get a dog's hips x-rayed?
1yr is recommended by vets. That's also the usual required time period you have to lock in most breeders hip guarantees.


Yes, I have thought about it.

Zefra was suppose to be my first sporting/breeding dog and when things were discovered about her breeder and she was spayed, I had a moment of "oh gosh, now I am not going to have that with her, can I afford another dog in the future?"

It was such a bummer. I got A LOT of heat from people around here for spaying her, but it was the only choice I had in my mind to keep her safe and here with me.

I am only at 2 dogs and would like 3-4 so, I know I still have room (not right now, but later..lol) but there was that sinking feeling in my gut.

A dream I had that vanished very quickly. It didn't help that people were calling me and asking why I did it, why I didn't just send her off somewhere while things were worked out with lawyers and such. I know now I made the right decision but it still stinks.

I get the "fear" behind this situation.
Yeah. I'm ok with 4 myself.... but, my yard and home are not. We are getting land in a few years and selling this house. But, until then, I just can't fit another dog. And financially, I can't handle another dog... I'm about to go back to school here soon.... no time/money for another pup for a while. :(

Lots and lots of positive thoughts and prayers that Storm's hips are perfect! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,913 Posts
I am thinking of you guys and zooming good thoughts your way! :)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top